Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello everyone...and my first question!

Re: Hello everyone...and my first question!

Ah yes...how rude! I reside in the UK in sunny (or not so sunny) Cornwall.

Re: Hello everyone...and my first question!

Are you saying that the camera doesn't have any default detents for the `normal' positions of the standards. I presume there is a way to fix the position of the standard where you want it. I wouldn't trust the detents even if you had them. But once you've determined positions where the standards are parallel, you can use to tape to make marks for positioning. (I recommend `Artists tape' because it sticks well and comes off withou leaving a residue. You can get it at any art supply store.)

Here is how I find the positions for which the standards are parallel. I first level the camera, and using a level determine the tilt position of the rear standard so that it is vertically plumb. I turn the tripod so that the camera rail is vertical, i.e., plumb. Check that the rear standard is is now level in the direction you turned the tripod and then adjust the swing of that standard so it is level in the perpendicular direction. Then using the leve, adjust the settings of the front standard so that it is level in those tow perpedndicular directions. When you are done the standards should be parallel and, when the camera i level, they should be plumb.

I use inexpensive bubble levels I got a B and H Photo, which are designed for putting in a flash hot shoe, but any small level will do. For the rear standard, it is best if you can fit the leve directly on the ground glass. For the front level, I use the lensboard or if the level is large enough, I place it directly on the end of the lens barrel.