Thread: Print/Portfolio/Presentation

Stephen Vaughan

Print/Portfolio/Presentation

Would welcome contributions detailing the way LF photographers show their work to galleries/clients. Size? Quantity of prints? Mounts? Etc. etc.

I work on 10x8, and contact print. Suggestions on ways to show the work would be useful. Thanks.....

Stephen: I would contact print on 11x14 paper to get a nice wide white border around the print. This will entail making a mask. This will allow the prints to be handled without damaging the image. You might also just mount the prints onto thinner mat board, such as two- ply. The prints should be presented in a portfolio binder for a more professional appearance. You won't need more than a dozen images...just make sure they are your best work. Check with an arts supply dealer or catalog for types of presentation portfolios which fits your needs. I feel that the presentation should be the best you can produce. If you are sloppy here, the viewer gets the feeling you may cut corners elsewhere. Don't include any prints that are not the best you can make and make sure they are properly spotted. Good luck with it.

Regards,

If you're looking for a particularly good looking portfolio binder check out Lost Luggage at www.lost-luggage.com. Very clean and professional looking products....customizable too.

Stephen:

Before going to the trouble of preparing one or more portfolios for presentation to galleries, I recommend that you first contact each of the prospective galleries you intend to call on and find out their preferred presentation protocol. The protocol can vary quite a bit between galleries.

Some will view only a particular number of 35mm slides of a selection of your work on a particular day of the week or month. Some even go so far as to view prospective new work only quarterly or even annually. You will need to find out the deadline date for such submissions. Also find out about any required application forms that should be accompanied by things such as resumes, artist's statements, etc. Once all of this is done, it is not unusual for galleries to state that no explanation of rejection will be given. Some galleries will automatically reject any artist who does not follow their accepted protocol.

Many galleries will flatly refuse to view any portfolios presented by an artist who shows up on their doorstep unannounced and improperly prepared. To avoid such rejections, do the necessary research beforehand. Make sure that you impress them not only with your artwork, but also with your abilities present yourself professionally!

Also, wouldn't hurt to read Huntington Witherall's editorial ? in Lens Work Quarterly. I believe View Camera ran an article on portfolios & mounting a year or two ago as well. Sorry, don't have 'em in front of me at the moment