Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with ADOX

Problems with ADOX

I just shot my first Adox 120mm, ISO 25 ART.
    I used ADOX ATM 49 as a developer at 1+2 6.5m 20c.

The film has lines and blotches on it. I am positive this
    isn't a camera problem as I used a Fujifilm GW690III Pro 6x9
    which has an extremely sharp lens. Here is the result and
    problem:

http://www.pbase.com/dehl/image/115527481

My friend also had problems with ADOX CHS in 4x5 in regards
    to humidity and water retention.

Adox problems anyone else? What's with this film?
    Kaden K.

Re: Problems with ADOX

IIRC Adox CHS 25 is the same as EFKE 25, a film which always has been very hard to develop and won't forgive any errors. One of the few films around for fourty years, thanks to the excellent quality it can deliver in the hands of those that had the patience to master it - but anybody who is not into a full run of 15s agitations without ever missing the beat by more than a second should probably pick a more modern and user-friendly film.

Drew Wiley

To the contrary, once you learn a few simple tricks this is a very easy film to develop.
    I routinely use PMK and a Jobo hand-inversion reel and tank, typically 6 min dev with
    an inversion cyle every 30sec, just like I do for all 120 and 35mm films - no difference
    in my agitation pattern whatsoever. The gelatin on this film is a little different than
    Kodak, Ilford, or Fuji films. Don't use temperatures much above 20C (68F) for either
    processing or the rinse. If you use a stop bath, make sure it is very weak. Once the
    film is dry it doesn't seem any more fragile than any other film. I've processed many
    rolls of this stuff with no problem whatsoever.

Thanks for the responses.

I pre-soaked it for a minute when in general I do it for 30 secs.
    The agitation was every 30 secs without any problems before with any other films.
    I am used a Kodak stopper.
    The temperature was around 68/69F.

I have 2 new rolls to develop and I may do it with another developer to test it and
    I will try it at 15 secs agitation with water as a stopper. Lets see.
    Kaden K.

It's your processing technique rather than the film. Make sure the spiral isn't rising up the column if it's a plastic tank, that can happen so the film's not fully submerged in the developer.

Ian

Thanks for the help folks. I tried a second roll and its much better though not perfect.
    I am now looking at the pre-soaking as the guilty party. I may just bypass it altogether
    next time and see what happens. Judge for yourselves:

http://www.pbase.com/dehl/image/115557695

http://www.pbase.com/dehl/image/115558361
    Kaden K.

Interesting. I am also testing CHS 25 Art. My first test shows that the image quality is excellent, but there's something in my developing style that caused some uneveness (at least I guess that it's the reason for uneveness).
    My agitation was one minute constant inversions, then three inversions at each minute. I have used same agitation pattern almost 20 years now without any problems.

I Did use presoak and normal acid stop bath (kodak stop bath, 1.3%).

Developer was Rodinal 1+100, next time I'll use Pyrocat-HD as it is tanning developer so at least the emulsion is not so vulnerable (and I hope that the curliness of the developed film would be lesser). For future, I am going to get some hardener to use during presoak.

Overall I already like the spectral sensivity and I am going to test this at 4x5 size.

The only thing that really concerns me is the rumours about dangers of higher developing temperatures. I cannot go much below 24 degrees celcius. Perhaps with constant cooling, I can get as low as 22 degrees. But 20, no way.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Jukka let me suggest to you that this film has some quirks. The first roll with a 1 minute pre-soak generated blotches and lines on the negative. The second roll I
    pre-soaked at 30 seconds and it was a visible improvement. Next I will try a pre-
    soak at 15 seconds.

I believe that there is a strange correlation here between the development and
    the pre-soak. My friend used Rodinal and I used ADOX ATM 49 as a developer
    and we both get to the end and after drying there are still gelatine film/tape
    for the lack of a better descriptor on the film. This is been our experience so
    far.

I am positive that once we figure all the quirks this film has an immense potential.
    Kaden K.

I seem to recall that presoaking is discouraged with this film. I'd recommend trying a roll without a presoak at all and see if that solves your problem.

Well, I use Adox 25 in 5x8" (and in 120 rolls) and like it a lot. I have had no problems with it (so far). My development routine is:

Both sizes are developed in Jobo 2800 tank on Unicolor Uniroller motor base for continuous agitation. Presoak 1minute. Development in Rodinal 1:50 for 9:30min. Water stop bath (twice). Fixer (Fomafix) for 4-5min. Rinse.

No problems with uneven development or anything like... I really like the film (it then scans very well, is much less prone to Newton rings than Fomapan 100 or Wephota NP 15).

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").