Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wehman 8x10 - Lightest, Smallest Tripod Possible

Wehman 8x10 - Lightest, Smallest Tripod Possible

Hi, I recently purchased a Wehman 8x10 camera and I'm now shopping around for a tripod. My principal requirement is that the tripod fold to under 20" so I can fit it and the camera into a carry-on bag. I live in South America where, unfortunately, baggage handlers have a reputation for theft.

I've got a clunky lens [Nikon 300mm f/5.6] which pushes my total weight to about 13lbs. I've been looking at the Feisol 3441 and the Gitzo 1541. In theory both of these tripods should work as they're rated for 15lbs and 16lbs respectively. My question is this: Am I pushing it? Can I really use the Wehman on such small tripods?

Links:

Feisol CT-3441SB:
    http://www.feisol.net/feisol-ct3441s...ipod-p-37.html

Gitzo 1541
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

Re: Wehman 8x10 - Lightest, Smallest Tripod Possible

The weight isn't the issue so much but the sheer size of the camera hanging over the center of the tripod will cause it to wobble in any breeze or movement when you trip the shutter. I use the gitzo 1325 (replaced by new model) with the wehman and lenses out to 600mm. The camera has a bit of play already at those extensions and I wouldn't dare go any lighter on the tripod.

I use a 3401 feisol and feisol ball head as my travel tripod with my wehman. Is is just fine.

I tried a Gitzo 1541 (for sale on the forum) with my Ebony 4x5. I do not think the weight would be an issue, in fact it would make the tripod more steady. I went back to my old Gitzo because I found that when I was shooting outdoors in heavy brush, I needed a tripod with spikes to get a good setup. (No spikes on the Gitzo 1541.)

As Vinny says, the problem is not rigidity, but the overhang of the camera versus the leg spread of the tripod. The lighter tripods have a slightly narrower stance, which makes these a little less stable than a bigger tripod. Means you need to be more careful to not knock the camera over. If you can get the feet on firm ground, and there is not a lot of wind, it should be stable. If there is wind with an 8x10, you better get an umbrella anyway. The real question is what sort of footing you will have. On hard surfaces, a small tripod can work fine. On uncertain surfaces, a bigger tripod with spikes works much better, but you are not going to carry it on.

Ed made good points.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hey, I am in the same boat.

I have a Feisol 3342 (the same as the one you mentioned except mine is the 3-piece leg version) which I use for an Arca Swiss 4x5.

I just received a Wehman 8x10 this week and I am trying to get by with the same tripod. I have an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead. A standard size plate for the quick release is definitely too small. I bought a Feisol plate that is about 6 inches long and has two mounting screws to attach to the camera. That helps alot for a stable connection. I would say that this tripod/head/camera combination is the absolute lightest I would be comfortable with. I would definitely use some weight on the center hook for stability and it does come with optional spike feet.

I would be more comfortable with the new Feisol 3472 though and I might buy one eventually.

I don't really like the Arca Z1 head with the 8x10 (so far my only experience is piddling around the house). It is a bit too small even though it can handle the weight. I would like a light, compact, pan-tilt head with a large quick-release plate, that costs less than $300. But I don't think that exists. Seems like these handy guys who build cameras could manufacture something like this. So given the alternatives, the Arca Z1 is a functional lightweight option and it is very compact. It also fits within the legs of the Feisol tripod when the legs are inverted for transport.

I also have the Feisol 3342 with a Manfrotto 410 head. I am using this combo with my 6 1/2 pound Dorff 5x7. Other than being a bit top heavy the setup works very well. You have to be more careful on uneven ground and as suggested, anchoring with the center hook is a good idea on some setups. The pod easily handles the weight. In fact I have had my 13 pound 8x10 Dorff on it and it doesn't flinch, but it is definitely top heavy. While this pod is incredibly strong and rigid, you need to be careful on setup and be aware of stability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Klazek View Post
    I also have the Feisol 3342 with a Manfrotto 410 head...
    I looked up weights and noticed that this tripod head weighs almost a much as the tripod. Seems like that would be quite top heavy.
    • Does that contribute to the "tippiness?"
    • Does the head seem matched well with such a lightweight tripod?

Thanks.

I am using that combo also, the 3342 with a 410 head, and yes, the head adds weight in a high place. I like its operation enough, though, to overlook that shortcoming. I've used other heads extensively, and this one is superior IMO.It was purchased for use with a 4x5 chamonix and its a very light outfit.

I have used it with my 8x10 Deardorff, though, and found it to be surprisingly workable. I have a 3036 Bogen and the 8x with that is unpleasantly heavy in the field. I can take the Feisol and lose about 10 lbs if I'm going far from the car. If I had a spare $300 I'd go for the heavier legs but its working OK right now.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

This has helped with my 4x5 in breezy conditions. It should help with undersized tripods and oversized cameras, but I would still be very careful and attentive to gusts. I wouldn't use my 8x10 burke and james with my Feisol 3342, but that camera is a different beast...

I use either a lightweight tent stake or anything heavy like a rock and one of these doohickeys... to cinch the legs down to the ground slightly.Takes me no more than a couple of seconds.

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail...product_id=158

I use them for line tensioners while backpacking and take them with me when I go on shooting excursions off trail. They weigh almost nothing and come in handy for pitching my ultralight all-in-one Poncho/Tent/Tarp contraption during unexpected thunder storms. I use the small ones.

I usually carry the poncho tarp in my bag if I venture more than a mile from my car. Anything closer and I usually use my heavy wooden legs.
    Robert Oliver