Thread: Take care not to lose a (tripod) leg ...

Take care not to lose a (tripod) leg ...

Picture this ...

Two days ago I was out on a day hike carrying my full 5x4 backpack, tripod, rain gear, etc. I’m hiking up a steepish path when I see lying on the trail in front of me a black rod a bit over a foot in length. Looks familiar I think to myself. What could it be? I picked it up and had the inspiration that it looked as if it could be part of a tripod. And you know what – it was the lower section of a tripod leg – MY tripod leg.

The explanation: I have a photo project underway in which I’m walking “The Cotswold Way” with my 5x4, a 102 mile National Trail running from Chipping Campden to Bath (in England). I’m doing it by myself in a series of day hikes so, I park my car and walk for half the day then walk back to the car. I’m actually walking the trail both ways – so 204 miles in total. I encountered my tripod leg about 30 minutes after reaching my day’s far point, so I was on my way back to my car. Between the time my tripod leg fell off and the time I found it I didn’t find any pictures to take and didn't take off my pack. So, lucky me that it was still where it fell, and that I didn’t stand on it and break it. This wouldn’t have happened if I wasn’t retracing my steps. I’d have been one leg short.

There have to be lessons to learn here.

My tripod (a Gitzo 2541L) is strapped to the middle of my backpack. Two of the legs sit in a tripod pocket in the backpack, the third leg hangs out of the pocket. First lesson – sit all three legs in the pocket not just two. Second lesson, always fully tighten the leg locks after use. If you don’t fully tighten the leg locks for stowing the tripod the locking collar can work loose. If it does there’s no failsafe on the system, the leg section can just slide out. Third lesson – if you strap your tripod onto your backpack but don’t have the feet in a pocket (like there is on my Tamrac 5588 Expedition) then devise some failsafe mechanism to ensure you don’t end up legless.

I’m posting this as an experience from which others may benefit – by not losing a leg! It’s not a criticism of the tripod – which in every other functional respect is superb.

I’m recording aspects of my walk on The Cotswold Way with my 5x4 in a photo blog at www.virtuallygrey.blogspot.com

wfwhitaker

Re: Take care not to lose a (tripod) leg ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gledhill View Post
    ...I’m walking “The Cotswold Way”...
    Is that anything like "The Marty Feldman Way" or "The John Cleese Way"?

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Sadly not - but thanks for the links. I'd probably never complete the walk if "I did it their way". Both clips are very familiar to me and never fail to raise a titter ...

It's clear we all need to keep an eye on our third legs. It's a good thing you were the one to find your third leg and not someone else--who knows where it would have ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need the talcum powder...

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    It's clear we all need to keep an eye on our third legs. It's a good thing you were the one to find your third leg and not someone else--who knows where it would have ended up.
    As a Manxman I realise how important it is to look after our three legs

Attachment 29362

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gledhill View Post

I’m posting this as an experience from which others may benefit – by not losing a leg!
    Losing a leg would not be the end of the world. You could stilll audition for the role of Tarzan ...

(Obligatory Peter Cook reference for the uninitiated)

Cheers

"Your right leg I like - it's a lovely leg for the role, I've got nothing against your right leg..."

A classic!