Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Wide Lens for 8x10

Re: Which Wide Lens for 8x10

The diagonal view of a 150 will be like a 21 on your 35mm camera. In terms of "feel" you may wind up seeing too much unwanted foreground with a 150 on 8x10 than your 24mm.

I love a 28mm on a 35mm camera, so for 8x10 I went with a 210mm which has about the same diagonal. However, I am still getting used to the increase in foreground view, as the 8x10 format is more square. I can see why Ansel had a platform on the top of his car.

So, you might want to try a 210mm to match the "feel" of a 24.

Since I projection print, another thing I have been doing to match the "feel" is to crop my 8x10 negatives to a somewhat wider aspect ratio.

I'm very happy with my Schneider Super-Symmar XL 150/f5.6. I've never felt the need to use a center filter with it. Others may have different opinions about that.

You don't mention what camera you're using so I'll throw out this cautionary note even though it may be irrelevant. Pay attention to the size of the rear element, some of them are quite large. My Canham 8x10, with it's 110mm lensboards, will not accept some of these lenses because the rear element will not fit through the opening in the front standard. The 150 SSXL has a comparatively small rear element and fits the Canham easily.

Cheers,
    Mark

Wow - a dozen replies in (less than) a day! Thanks to everyone who replied!

Allow me to pick your brains a little further:

Good point about the added foreground, but I will be above ground. Basically, I am trying to do some hyper-detailed landcapes a la Massimo Vitali (If you are in the mood check out http://www.massimovitali.com/ - such awesome work..).

Now, I don't know how the hell he gets those super wide shots (I reckon its gotta be a 150, no?) and must use some front movement to get the perspective right (it's shot from a platform 3m over the ocean), and still has no distortion or falloff.....

Years ago, shooting wide on 4x5 I often had trouble with falloff (LOTS!) if I used any rise or tilt. I can't remember what lenses, they were hired, but they must've been rotten ones.

In a nutshell: I need a very wide, super sharp lens for 8x10 with lots of coverage, minimal distortion and falloff. If anyone can advise on the likely lens for this kind of work, do let me know.

If you are selling such a lens (150 SSXL or 165 SA?), also drop me a line.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Uri Auerbach View Post
    Wow - a dozen replies in (less than) a day! Thanks to everyone who replied!

Allow me to pick your brains a little further:

Good point about the added foreground, but I will be above ground. Basically, I am trying to do some hyper-detailed landcapes a la Massimo Vitali (If you are in the mood check out http://www.massimovitali.com/ - such awesome work..).

Now, I don't know how the hell he gets those super wide shots (I reckon its gotta be a 150, no?) and must use some front movement to get the perspective right (it's shot from a platform 3m over the ocean), and still has no distortion or falloff.....

Years ago, shooting wide on 4x5 I often had trouble with falloff (LOTS!) if I used any rise or tilt. I can't remember what lenses, they were hired, but they must've been rotten ones.

In a nutshell: I need a very wide, super sharp lens for 8x10 with lots of coverage, minimal distortion and falloff. If anyone can advise on the likely lens for this kind of work, do let me know.

If you are selling such a lens (150 SSXL or 165 SA?), also drop me a line.

Thanks everyone!
    I think you're completely mistaken about the focal lengths you preferred photographer (Massimo) uses. His pictures are not taken with a super wide lens. It seems it's just the opposite - a longer lens used at a distance.

Sorry my bad - I should have clarified: look at the diptychs!

I own a print, which is the one I'm most familiar with, which is definitely shot with a wide, but you are right that some of them (esp the first few in the portfolio section), are shot with long(ish) lenses.

In any case the project I am doing requres a wide lens.

Thank you!

The "diptychs" on his web site are just two quasi stitched images taken with the same longish lens at a distance.
    I have no doubt you're looking for a wide lens for your project. Good luck!

Massimo Vitali's favourite lens is the 360mm Apo Symmar, on 8x10" and 11x14".

I work with him.

This is a Massimo's dyptich that I scanned, restored and printed with him at Grieger lab in Dusseldorf:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/castors...in/photostream