Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Numbers Stamped on Underside of Korona Extension Rails and Tripod Block

Meaning of Numbers Stamped on Underside of Korona Extension Rails and Tripod Block

I finally got the Korona 8x20 Panoramic project at a point where it is useable, just in time for me to travel away from home.

I was curious about the numbers stamped on the underside of the front rail, tripod block, and rear extension rail. They all match, so that would indicate they were built and matched to that camera.

What I am curious about does the number itself have any significance and whether it might be the serial number for the camera? It is only a two digital number, and I do not know how many Koronas were built in that size, so it might be plausible.

Anyone out there really know?

Re: Meaning of Numbers Stamped on Underside of Korona Extension Rails and Tripod Bloc

My 7X17 Korona does have same number on tripod block and front rail. But its only number 9. So I doubt that its some kind of serial number.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Re: Meaning of Numbers Stamped on Underside of Korona Extension Rails and Tripod Bloc

I've always assumed it was some sort of batch number, or a workers bench number or such...Folmer and Schwings have similar.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

The number were put there in the manufacturing of the parts so the matched sets could be matched back up to each other after they go through all the manufacturing processing.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Richard,

Were those numbers unique, or re-used when starting another batch?

As the numbers on mine are 37, that would indicate there were a number being assembled at one time if they were being re-used. That is why I was wondering if they were indiciative of a serial or build number e.g. 37th 8x20 panoramic built.

I can understand Doug's viewpoint with a 9 on his, but then there had to be a first one built, regardless of what they called it...

Thanks,

Len

I picked up aan 8x10 Korona View camera froma guy who bought it back in the 1970's. He took it apart and never reassembled it. He gave it to me but there are a few things missing. One is the lens and lens board the other is the ground glass. Where can I find those items? Also is there any kind of schematic drawings so I can put it back together correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by psrstudio View Post
    I picked up aan 8x10 Korona View camera froma guy who bought it back in the 1970's. He took it apart and never reassembled it. He gave it to me but there are a few things missing. One is the lens and lens board the other is the ground glass. Where can I find those items? Also is there any kind of schematic drawings so I can put it back together correctly?
    You can get that stuff on ebay. You might look for a lens called Turner Reich 8x10, just be sure it doens't have a lot of yellowish crystals around the edges of the glass. Also, photos of the camera on ebay may help in assembling. If you need more detailed photos I can send them to your email address.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Len
    They probably reused the numbers in different production runs. I have seen the same number more then once.

No on the drawings. Its just a big puzzle. Just hold the part up to the camera and match the holes up all parts only go on one way. Best to find a picture of the camera.

Len and lens board are available on this forum and else where. It's just how much do you want to spend on a lens.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

While restoring British wooden cameras I've found that ever part is staped with a number, seems to be standard practice.

Ian

Apart from on the "fitting" parts on wooden cameras, many very early lenses/telescopes have similar numbers (usually roman numerals) on parts to denote they were an acceptible fit. Early brass turning and threading was no more precise than carpentry.