Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride Paper Update #2 7/26/09

Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride Paper Update #2 7/26/09

Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride Paper Update #2 7/26/09

Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride Paper will be coated in August. If you have already placed an order, we will be depositing your check or charging your credit card. If you are living outside of the United States and will be wiring payment, we will send you our bank transfer information. This charge is exclusive of shipping charges.

The manufacturer of the paper agreed to coat the paper even though we have not met the minimum quantity they require. As a result of their extensive R&D costs not being recovered, the manufacturer is raising the price of the paper to us.

Because we have made a commitment to those who have ordered paper at our announced price, we will keep the price the same for those who have already placed orders. And we will keep this price until August 7. For all orders places after August 7 there will be new prices.

Size and Quantity Current price Price after August 7
    8x10-100 $139.95 $149.95
    8x10-250 $324.95 $349.95
    9x11-100 $174.95 $189.95
    10x12-100 $209.95 $224.95
    11x14-100 $269.96 $289.95
    8x20-100 $279.95 $299.95
    14x17-50 $254.95 $274.95
    16x20-50 $279.95 $299.95
    20x24-50 $419.94 $449.95
    Rolls 60cm x 25m $409.95 $439.95

Now is the time to place an order or to increase the size of your order.

A number of photographers have ordered only one grade of paper. We know of no one who makes negatives so consistently that they need to print on only one grade of paper. Even Ansel Adams with his zone system needed more than one grade of paper. We cannot imagine anything more frustrating than being in the darkroom and finding that we do not have the right grade of paper. Lodima Fine Art comes in grade 2 and grade 3. We advise everyone to order at least one box of each.

As we go forward, we will be stocking paper in both grades, but only in the following sizes.

8x10-100 sheets
    8x10-250 sheets
    11x14-100 sheets
    20x24-50 sheets

We will not stock the other sizes. If you have ordered paper in a size other than those that we will stock, you might want to add to your order at this time.

There have been so few orders for some of the sizes (14 x 17, for example) that we may incur substantial additional set-up charges. If we do, we will let you know, and you might want to change your order (from 14 x 17 to 16 x 20, for example). The set-up charges are likely to be considerably more than the additional cost for a slightly larger size.

Thank you for your interest in and support of Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride paper. We could not have done this without you.

Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 27-Jul-2009 at 13:08.

Re: Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride Paper Update #2 7/26/09

Michael,

Great News!!! I'll review my previous order and see if I need to increase it!

There is a typo in our announcement.

In the list of sizes and prices, the second listing for 8x10-100 sheets, should read 8x20-100 sheets.

Michael A. Smith

I corrected the typo. Also as many people have pointed out this is a product announcement and should be in the New Products forum, where I moved it too.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Is there a problem with allowing this post to reside in both categories? Considering the fact that Michael and Paula for all practical purposes found a way to bring to the market a product that had to be created from scratch with a brand new formula for a silver chloride paper that is actually better than the original paper that it is replacing is an absolutely phenomenal event that should be highlighted on the forums headings as opposed to being relegated to a relatively obscure heading.

Lets face it. Rarely in the conventional markets for photographic materials are new products brought into the market let alone a new B&W paper and as a result few people will investigate this topic. I had to look to find this topic because I did not even know that it was there. I feel that it should not is not causing anyone any heartburn to be so &#$%& politically correct in this instance. Come on. Entrepreneurial activities should be promoted to the fullest intent on this forum and the moderators should stay away from this subject in this instance. Nobody said anything objective or offended anyone in any way shape or form.

Sometimes the best course of action is no action.

Is there a problem with allowing this post to reside in both categories?
    Yes, the Darkroom, Film Processing, Printing Forum is not ever for selling items. Product announcements belong in the New Products Forum and sales really should be only in the For/Sale Forum.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

At $150 doesn't this make it the most expensive paper in 8x10? I wonder what it would have cost if the minimum had been made and the "R&D" costs had been recovered. Was it a rush to market or a compromise for demand? What was the last price for AZO 8x10 before it was gone? If something should happen to the Smiths, God forbid, what will happen to Lodima? I remember Fred Picker and Brilliant paper, there were high hopes and it lasted for a time. Best of luck with the venture, maybe the price will go down a little after it takes hold, only time will tell.

Considering what paper stock goes for (after most of the competitors have stopped making it) and that this is a brand new "modern" formula that was made from scratch it is a screaming deal.

Course if you want to ignore the realities of the marketplace and just want to pitch a bitch so be it. IMHO the price of admission even in this market is superior to the alternatives.

Costs are relative. If you want something bad enough there is always a way.

Cheers!

To Turner Reich, who objects to the price of the paper:

Not only does the manufacturer have to recoup their costs, including their R&D costs, we do, too. We have been working on this for over five years (since before Kodak discontinued Azo) and it has cost us more money than we had ever imagined, or that you or anyone else can imagine.

We have enough Azo to last us, if not a lifetime, then for another twenty years, which, considering our ages, might be a lifetime. We did this for ourselves, sure, but also for the others in the LF community who want to make the finest possible silver contact prints.

We are not wealthy and can not afford to be a patron to the LF community by subsidizing the paper and taking a loss. Is that what you would like us to do?

If the paper is too expensive for you, don't buy it. But don't complain about the cost. If you had any idea of all of the direct and indirect costs involved in a venture like this, you would think we are under-pricing it. We wanted to make the price reasonable. If we figured the real cost, with everything added in, we would need to sell the paper for a far higher price than it is now priced.

Thanks for wishing us the best of luck. That we finally will have the paper is the only measure of success. So we are successful. The price will not go down. Only up, as the dollar continues to weaken. If you want paper, we suggest you get it now.

Michael A. Smith

Turner,

We all look forward to seeing your new paper, which we're sure will be at least as good, and, oh, how 'bout half the price?

Michael and Paula, The check's in the mail, along with the long-considered order. Cash the check so my accounting isn't in limbo!

My trial 7.5 x 10 Lodima produced the finest 5x7 contact prints I have ever made, by far, including on Azo. And unbelievably simple. I used to marvel at Weston's "Daybooks" when he said he rarely needed a second sheet of paper to get a final print. Well, with a fixed setup (light source, print frame, consistently exposed and developed negatives) I can come close to that with Lodima (mebbe two, or three sheets at most, which is more a function of a lack of confidence rather than actually getting it right the first time), so there's an economy there compared to my 4x5 and 35mm enlarging onto "regular" silver paper.

I'm going to play with 4x5 contacts, too, which I love, when I get full 8x10 size. Hurry up!!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com