Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photography Locations In The Seattle Area?

Re: Photography Locations In The Seattle Area?

For in Seattle try the Space Needle, the EMP (as already suggested),the Chihuly Garden and Glass (handheld photography only so not large format friendly), if you're into butterflies there's a butterfly exhibit at the Pacific Science Center, which begs the actual Pacific Science Center. All of these are within the Seattle Center so if only one is of interest it's only one location. If you don't like the insides, you should like the outsides, depending on the weather. Depending on when you're here the weather can be a real challenge. Actually, even if you're here in summer the weather can be a challenge.

http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/plan-your-visit
    http://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/
    http://www.spaceneedle.com/home/
    http://www.empmuseum.org/

rainpanda

Heroique, We were close...I was frustrated!

Bless you!

Natalie

Sorry about the double post.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    I spent a couple of summers on Whidbey Island and there were some interesting shots when the tide went out and you could wander out in the bay surprisingly far. Could be good for a lost waif shot.
    If you do decide to come up to Whidbey Island, I can give some local advice and show some favorite photo venues. This goes for any members of the LF community, of course.

John O

rainpanda

John O, I hope you can answer a question about a beatiful location on Whidbey I happened upon witha friend, but can't find on any maps (end of post).

Whidbey has so many photographic treasures, starting with views of Deception Pass Bridge from the beaches of the state park areas below on all sides (especially if the bridge is partially shrouded in early morning fog); a colorful sailboat passingnunderntebridgentaken from on the bridge driving from Camano and pulling over before driving ontonthe bridge, after midday when the bridge is casting a shadow just adjacent to the boat; the myriad trails in Deception pass Park.

We stayedvat a beachfront B&B south of Deception Pass Park and just north of Naval Air Station land. From their deck jacuzzi, from their beach fire pit and from their nearly-panoramic views from the dining room while consuming an awesome breakfast, incredible views of sea kayakers, pods of orcas and other whales, orcas swimming all around the kayakers (what an awesome thrill for them!), plus the streaking jets taking off from NAS are all available.

Another favorite the water's edge bridge approaching Penn Cove, endless opportunities along the cove edges, ncluding the mussel farm.

Coupeville is quaint but expensive to shop or dine.

Here's the question: Somewhere north of Fort Casey and south of NAS, we took a side rad off the main hwy through the length of the island, found ourselves driving up in elevation in what looked like park, ending at a very short uphill grassy walk to the edge of a bluff higher than 250-300 feet overlooking the Strait and an unbelievable log-littered beach below, with a partial dirt/wood edged step trail that turned to mostly dirt halfway down. Where the heck were we? It seems looking at maps of Joseph Whidbey State Park that it is all at low elevation, and Fort Casey was quite a bit farther. Some of the dirt/gravel roads in that small park might have gone down in elevation, but we couldn't explore more at that point. Any of ideas? Thanks!

Sounds like Ft Ebey State Park. Lots of trails, deep woods, and a nice stretch of beach.

"Where the heck were we?"

I know this thread is about 5 years old, but i wanted to see the photos you'd taken from there, i am planning to visit Washington and Oregon this coming September, so i hope to photograph something good, but a sad news is that i will not carry a large format with me, the only film i will carry is MF rangefinder.

rainpanda

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    ...I wanted to see the photos you'd taken from there, i am planning to visit Washington and Oregon this coming September...
    Professional: Not sure who your post was directed to, but if to me, my 2 LF and 3 other cameras, myriad lenses and accessories AND NEGATIVES AND PRINTS *wimper*, including a 1959 Graflex Crown Graphic 4x5 and a 1952 Leica IIIf 35mm rangefinder (made a deal with a close neighbor Leica shop owner for those two cameras and an additional lens and accessory kit for the Leica in exchange for 4 years of babysitting when I was 14, then was given them after just under 3 years into deal when they moved 60 miles away into what could only be called a Tudor castle) were in my car trunk along with many other valuable and/or irreplaceable sentimental belongings when car was stolen while moving. All my incredibly precious-to-me Sierra Club 3-day Ansel Adams field workshop work with his photographic assistant doing the 90% of instruction, but small amount of prized mentoring with AA will always be with me (12 worshipping learners in the workshop weekend)! All including car never recovered. I have a USB flash drive with scans of all of my LF photos from 2000 to a few weeks before I lost everything, but no PC with which to post them as it died recently and will await replacement a while longer. Using an Android tablet (with microUSB drive) with frustration online now and have to save $ to get newvPC before I can post any of my 132 scanned jpg's of LF prints I did end up with. Someone else might post some of their LF work mentioned in this thread, but in the meantime I would suggest you search cited places on Internet to see "ordinary" photos. Suggested searches: If a hiker, www.weekend hike.com and there particularly, under Seattle/Northwest Hiking links on right partway down first screen: Fort Ebey Bluff Loop, Ebey's Landing, Deception Pass Little North Beach (but search separately for pics of Deception Pass Bridge...awesome), Denny Creek Melakwa Lake, and above the word links, if spending a lot of time in greater Seattle, the picture link of Top Seattle Local Hikes (and don't dare miss a very special Sunday brunch EXPERIENCE at Ivar's Salmon House Lake Union...not only incredible food, but view entertainment (seaplanes, sea birds, kayakers and boaters tying up at the restaurant, maybe a Duck boat passing by, maybe an opportune drawing of Montlake Bridge, all from your table, plus educational Northwest tribal info/history on multiple walls, with vintage Native American canoes hanging from extraordinarily high rafters).

Not hiking? Scads of searches: thousands of beautiful pics in Seattle and every part of WA. Seattlearea: Ballard Locks, Volunteer Park, Arboretum Park (swimmers, kayakers, canoers in good weather in Portage Bay) and in between those parks, Interlaken Park with a small portion of it looking like a hilly microcosm of a temperate rainforest, another part with large redwoods; Montlake Cut with waterskiers, rowing teams. The 520 floating bridge crossing to the eastside of 22 mile long Lake Washington (but look backward if you're a passenger to see Husky stadium right at the edge of their own Husky bay, and if you time it during a "U Dub" football game, you'll see the incredible HuskyBay parking lot, with game goers or just partyers tied up in rows and rows of boats "sailgating." Check out Black Diamond Natural Area, colorful hot air balloons in Snohimish and Woodinville, maybe check out Snoqualmie Falls (better order would be Snohomish or Woodinville first after crossing east on 520 bridge, then Black Diamond, then Snoqualmie Falls, then return on the I-90 floating bridge (second longest in the world). Granite Falls in early to mid spring (best time for all falls). Camano Island: Canopy Tours zip line, Camano Island State Park, Out on a Limb Orchids and Lavender Farm. Take a ferry to the Olympic Peninsula and see Port Townsend, Dungeness Spit, Discovery Bay (catch a delicious dive diner burger at Fat Smitty's), Hurricane Ridge Road if open when here, PortAngeles, Lake Crescent webcam, Hoh Rainforest, Neah Bay. San Juan Islands: Ever been on a whale search boat surrounded by an orca pod? Or kayak in the Puget Sound (or in Strait of Juan de Fuca if with a pro guide). If sneaking over the border to BC, on way north, take the Cascade Mountains scenic loop byways east if snow has been cleared to loop back from Winthrop to I-5 eventully without retracing same road, stop at Semiahmoo Resort and walk out on the spit before crossing border at Blaine. Vancouver BC is crammed with unbelievable pics and culture, just as Seattle is. My fave place on Vancouver Island: A small fishing/beach town of Tofino...so much more, but I'm tired. I've only touched on a few places in northwest WA; don't even get me started on rest of WA and gorgeous Oregon, or I'll never sleep. Wen you do come, enjoy!

Natalie

rainpanda

Quote Originally Posted by jloen View Post
    Sounds like Ft Ebey State Park. Lots of trails, deep woods, and a nice stretch of beach.
    Thank you, jloen. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I know this thread is about 5 years old, but i wanted to see the photos you'd taken from there, i am planning to visit Washington and Oregon this coming September, so i hope to photograph something good, but a sad news is that i will not carry a large format with me, the only film i will carry is MF rangefinder.
    Hello Professional,

You mentioned coming out to the Pacific Northwest a while ago. I assume you didn't make it out last year and are making new plans. I hope you get a chance to make it.