Thread: Chuck Close / Jerry Spagnoli Daguerreotype Portraits - What Kind of Strobes?

Chuck Close / Jerry Spagnoli Daguerreotype Portraits - What Kind of Strobes?

Does anyone know what kind of strobe lights were used by Chuck Close and Jerry Spagnoli in their Daguerreotype portraits?

There was a thread here a couple of years ago that briefly mentioned nuclear blasts and burning hair but nothing more specific.

I found a report online from someone who took Spagnoli's workshop and said that his process has an ISO of .0002 and that to get an exposure in open shade at f3.5 requires 3 minutes.

That's a lot of light!

Are there commercially available strobe lights that produce that kind of output?

Links:

Chuck Close thread from 2007:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ht=chuck+close

Jerry Spagnoli workshop report:
    http://www.outbackphoto.com/DigitalC...002/essay.html

Re: Chuck Close / Jerry Spagnoli Daguerreotype Portraits - What Kind of Strobes?

Mercury developed daguerreotypes are more like .05 ASA, while the Becquerel plates that you found reference to online are about .005ASA. Jerry told me once that he used 4800w/s heads quite close to the subject, I can't recall how many, but perhaps you could figure it out from reflections in the victims' eyes.

I recall also an interview with Jerry, Chuck and Timothy Greenfield-Sanders when Jerry mentions his lighting set-up. Maybe in W? The one a few years back with the daguerreotypes of Kate Moss on the front.

Re: Chuck Close / Jerry Spagnoli Daguerreotype Portraits - What Kind of Strobes?

I would also guess that the "Non UV coated" flashtubes some companies offer as options would work better for Dags. I experimented with them for collodion plates and gained some speed since both the daguerreotypes and wet plate are very uv sensitive (compared to visible light).

Call Jerry and ask him. 212-924-5470. Good luck.