Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof 6x12 Techno rolex RFH, any users?

Linhof 6x12 Techno rolex RFH, any users?

I am strongly considering buying this RFH. The reason I am considering a RFH th is expensive, it's the only one which measures 120mm, while the others are in th e 112 - 113 mm range. The full 120mm is mandatory for what I am doing. A user of this back wrote me and gave me some insight on this back which raised some q uestions. Since I can not get my hands on this back and can not find a good set of pictures, I am being cautious. I plan to use it in the field doing nature photoraphy.

This is a special order item, hence no returns. B&H price about $3,000. If anyone has first hand experience, I sure would appreciate input.

1. I hear the 220 insert is very cumbersome to use when loading and unloading f ilm?

2. The back is not hinged and I was told it was cumbersome removing and re inst alling it. Is there a reason it would not be hinged? The comment from a user w as, 3 hands would be helpful.

3. Is the back very heavy? Anyone have the weight of this back?

4. A user advised me the chance of film buckle is pretty good as the film must go around roller prior to being exposed. Bob S informed me this roller is large to reduce the film bend, but I am still wondering after several hours of non us e if this buckle is strong enough to be noticeable in the image. For this type of price tag, I wish it had a straight path such as the Sinar.

5. I was told this is an old design, anyone know how long this model has been a round?

6. If the age of this design is a bit older, could there poosibly be any proble ms with gg / film alignment with newer 4x5 cameras? I plan to use it on a Toyo V X125. I am not sure how long all camera makers have adhered to the same interna tional standard?

7. I assume there is a counter on the back and the ratchet stops when the film is would to the next exposure? It's not the type you look through a window to d etermine when to stop cranking it?

Thank you very much.... Bill G

Oops, item 7 should say "wound", instead of "would", sorry....

Bill, I haven't used the RFH in question but your B&H price of $3000 set off an alarm right away. Go to www.robertwhite.co.uk and you'll find him listing it for #998, or under $1500. Quite a difference! It's under his "Large Format - Other" listings. He is very honest, reliable and prompt, BTW; I deal with him frequently.

Regards, Danny www.dannyburk.com

Hi,

as i don't use the 6x12, but other holders, just a few notes. Roll film will always tend to buckle, as you have in most holders (even Hasselblad etc.) a roll that changes the direction of the film. For the old rollex-holders you have to remove the gg before you shoot so an insert-holder such as Sinar or Calumet are easier to handle. If you prefer the flatness of yor "normal" film, just calculate the cost of the RFH and how many 4x5 films you can shoot for that money. I have an older 6x9 rollex which is use to it's end and a Calumet 6x7 that I bought for little money and I use them only for special tasks. I once saw a 6x12 used on eBay, but the price was too high so I stay to my 4x5 holders.

techno rollex back is suppose to be the better RFH in term of film flatness, but sinar are good too ! With a techno rollex you have one format, while with the sinar zoom 2 you can us e : 4.5x6/6x6/6x7/6x9/6x12! i know that the sinar is just 112, so this is perfect, in fact 6 is not six eith er : 56x112 it's two squares ! With the sinar you don't need to remove the ground glass (less dust inside the b ellow!) i use myself a 6x6 super rollex, it's a perfect tool, but the weight ! and again , i need to remove the GG ! If i found a sinar RFH 6x7 i sell super rollex on the spot !

The Techno Rollex is NOT a special order item. We maintain it in open stock. That is why I could mame the measurements you wanted on it.

Casey's could have it in your hands by Saturday if it was ordered today.

Bob, I am curious why you did not answer any of my quesitons? You are the Linhof rep. If you don't have the answers, who does?

I know you like the facts... I assumed it was special order because here is what I read on the B&H site...

Note! This is a special order item. Estimated arrival at B&H 3-7 business days. You will be charged upon placing your order.

I mistakenly quoted the price above at $3000, B&H has it for $3,400 - for a roll film back? Oh well....

Bill, as I've said elsewhere, my experience is that diameter of a reverse curl feed roller seems only to affect steepness of the ramps up to maximum bulge displacement. It doesn't appear to "cure" the inherent problem. Also, I've not seen evidence that *all* camera makers adhere to "the same" international standard for groundglass depth even today.

Bill,

No experience using the Techno Rollex, but I was just on the phone with Jeff at Badger Graphic. He has the Techno Rollex in stock at $1295. Compared to "speci al order" at $3400, that seems like a heck of a deal.

Kerry

So there is absolutely no question in Bill's mind the dealer quoted you list price with a $33.00 discount.

The list price for a Techno Rollex in the U.S. is $3,433.00. Any dealer would be happy to meet the price you were quoted but any dealer local to you would sell it for much less.