Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First LF Photo: Any suggestions how to improve future shots?

First LF Photo: Any suggestions how to improve future shots?

I finally took my first large format photos. Attached is a 90mm shot with my Chamonix 4X5 as well as a 210mm shot. The f/stop for both photos were either f/22 or f/32. I am not quite sure if I focused correctly and if the exposure could have been better, but at least I loaded the film correctly. I did not even try to tilt, since I don’t know how to use this feature yet.

I had my D700 and 17-35mm with me so I took a few handheld shots at f/22 to provide a baseline for comparison. What characteristics differentiate 4X5 from a D700 and what should I be looking for in the photo? How can I improve my future shots.

Chamonix 4X5 90mm
    http://www.diddephoto.com/photos/603785051_CmL59-X3.jpg

Chamonix 4X5 210mm
    http://www.diddephoto.com/photos/603779738_BUjXy-X3.jpg

D700 17mm
    http://www.diddephoto.com/photos/603755664_S8mkL-X3.jpg

D700 35mm
    http://www.diddephoto.com/photos/603759081_ZGKDP-X3.jpg

Re: First LF Photo: Any suggestions how to improve future shots?

Quote Originally Posted by timberline12k View Post
    How can I improve my future shots.
    This is not a sarcastic reply: Take lots and lots of them.

Really, what you have there is very good for someone new to LF. A little fine tuning is all. I've been at LF for 4 years, and I still need fine tuning, so time and experience are the best.

--Gary

David,

You need to attach some larger images so we can comment. Can't quite see how well you focused. Looks like you're off to a great start though.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

I am not quite sure how to attach larger images so I just added some links in the original post.

What type of fine tuning would you suggest?

I like the 90mm photo better than the 210mm shot which is a little dark for my taste.

Any idea where to concentrate on when you focus? I just went for the middle. For those of you needing reading glasses, do you use the loupe with or without the reading glasses?

If you were using tilt etc., what how would you adjust the camera?

David,

Congratulatios on the first shots. It will be a lot more fun as you become more comfortable with the camera and its capabilities. A good thread for using tilts:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ight=base+tilt

I'd suggest a strong foreground element with the 90mm.

Cheers, Steve

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by timberline12k View Post
    Any idea where to concentrate on when you focus?
    You will know what you want in focus. For many, this is usually a range of things that you want in focus, not all of which will be on the same plane. Depth of field will help the photo, and this article will help you: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html

P.S. I would read that entire site. It is full of good information.

The vertical object (tree on left side) in your first shot (90 mm) will prevent you from using tilt to gain additional depth of field since any tilt imparted would affect the tree by altering top to bottom focus and that is something that you would not want, one would assume. A slight bit of rear swing could be used to impart a new plane of focus between the right rock wall and the left tree...not really needed but it could be used. If you decided on this you would swing the front standard with the right edge forward of the left edge of the standard. Additionally with a camera having rear swings you could swing the right edge of the standard backward in relation to the left side of the rear standard.

On your second shot (210 mm), you could use either front of rear tilt to gain additional depth of field and not need to rely entirely on lens aperture for depth of field. The choice on whether to use front or rear tilt will depend on the effect that you wish to gain. If you tilt the front standard forward that will give you one result with the size relationship between objects will remain basically the same. If however you tilt the rear standard backward you will gain depth of field and gain an enlarged near object in relation to far objects. Used this way near objects tend to loom and this can give an enhanced near/far relationship appearance. This effect is one that Ansel used quite a lot in his images. An example would be his Mount Williamson image...the link is below.

http://www.hctc.commnet.edu/artmuseu...illiamson.html

You will find in your experience that the amounts of tilt and swing adjustments are less than you would imagine in most cases.

In regard to some other matters in your photographs (just the LF). On the 90 mm photograph a think a step forward would have helped in this composition. On the 210 mm photo, I would like to see some anchoring object in the lower right hand corner. It appears that on this same photograph that a stop or stop and half more exposure would have given a better result since the shadows seem to be empty on my monitor. The result is an appearance of excessive contrast...however your highlights don't appear blown. So more exposure and less development would help you in this case.

Hope this helps.
    Donald Miller
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 27-Jul-2009 at 23:11. Reason: Additional information

What characteristics differentiate 4X5 from a D700 and what should I be looking for in the photo? How can I improve my future shots.

It's about Beauty, isn't it ?

As you get more comfortable with the view camera (and learn about exposure/development), your seeing will deepen. Cameras like the D700 are great for shooting sports, children, and other fast-moving subjects - but using a View Camera, you can develop presence of mind, and heightened artistic awareness.

So you might want to return to the same location (perhaps when the lighting is softer), and try other compositions and interpretations.

Improve?

Simply keep having fun doing what you want to do with the camera.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

David,

First I apologize for my first comment. Somehow I read your post, skipped right over the links and was trying to click on the thumbnails to enlarge them and nothing happened. Jeez, I'm getting old...

Only want to confirm one comment and add one more to all that has already been said.

I agree with Donald that the exposure should have been 1 to 1 1/2 stops longer and the development adjusted if needed. Shadows are lacking detail on my monitor as well.

On composition, my main goal is to find order somewhere in the chaos. I think if you follow Ken's advise and return to the same spot a few times, you may be able to find simpler and stronger compositions. Try to isolate one or two elements that made you want to make the photograph at this location in the first place and then try to make that (or those) elements more prominent.

Good luck and have fun. The large format camera is a journey.

Jim
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ