Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Chamonix 7x11 Arrived...

Re: My New Chamonix 7x11 Arrived...

OK, my age is getting to me, it cost me a minute or so to regain my normal posture again:
    this is one beauty !!! Congrads !

Peter

7x11 is my secret platonic love for contact printing - I did some prints in 7x11, 5x12 and 8x10 and the 7x11 is the one. But until I really find out what I want to do in photography I have to stay back what is hard, though the price is a great help here. I hope to see your work here soon - you need to proof you are worth it. Enjoy the camera and our friendly and sincere envy

Sincerely, i donīt understand how a chinesse product can cost 2850usd and a japanese
    product like tachihara for example cost at badger 1495€ or a metal kb canham 2495usd and it is an american product.
    is a copy of phillips explorer with no development or design cost and is in cost like a phillips one.
    please if anyone understand it , explain me

According to Canham site, a new 7x17 is about US $5700- a tad more than $2850. While only a casual observer of the ULF scene, I use a 4x5 Chamonix very happily. From what I can see, nothing about ULF is priced cheaply.

i refer to 8x10 models

Quote Originally Posted by prado333 View Post
    Sincerely, i donīt understand how a chinesse product can cost 2850usd and a japanese
    product like tachihara for example cost at badger 1495€ or a metal kb canham 2495usd and it is an american product.
    is a copy of phillips explorer with no development or design cost and is in cost like a phillips one.
    It's called C A P I T A L I S M. We used to do it in America. You buy raw materials, you combine your sweat and talent, and you make something. The market would probably bear more, so explain why it is so reasonable. They are a true bargain.

They truly are gorgeous! Out of curiosity, did Hass use the old Eastman standard for his 711 holders? I'm wondering if they are interchangeable with my 1903 Kodak.

Quote Originally Posted by prado333 View Post
    It's called Chinese C A P I T A L I S M. They use to do it in China. You buy raw materials, you combine your sweat and someone's else talent, and you make something... It works as long as there are someone's else talents. Also for the development you have to wait for someone's else talent...

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    It's called Chinese C A P I T A L I S M. They use to do it in China. You buy raw materials, you combine your sweat and someone's else talent, and you make something... It works as long as there are someone's else talents. Also for the development you have to wait for someone's else talent...
    Don't forget that Dick Phillips bestowed his imprimatur on these cameras and seemed, in fact, to be happy that someone will continue making his design and in ALL formats...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    They truly are gorgeous! Out of curiosity, did Hass use the old Eastman standard for his 711 holders? I'm wondering if they are interchangeable with my 1903 Kodak.
    I wish I knew, Jim. Here's the process I had to follow...some kind forumer gave me a sheet of Ilford 7x11 film that Hugo sent to China. A holder was built to ensure good fit of this sheet of film in the holder and then a T distance was incorporated on which the camera back was designed. I have no idea what this distance is. It would make sense to match the Kodak since it is just about the only other 7x11 camera out there, but I don't know. Maybe Hugo will chime in here! I'll tell you, it's great to have a new camera in this excellent format!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Don't forget that Dick Phillips bestowed his imprimatur on these cameras and seemed, in fact, to be happy that someone will continue making his design and in ALL formats...
    A nice try Dick was put in front of the "fait accompli", nobody asked him for a permission before the camera production. That's not in the books of ethics of the Chinese capitalism... And sure was he proud that his design was now copied in all camera formats