Thread: Outdoor Photographer / New Mexico

Outdoor Photographer / New Mexico

It's pretty rare when non fine-art magazines publish large format black and white portfolios, so just a note that there are two currently on newstands that are beautiful.

The July issue of New Mexico magazine features Craig Varjabedian's 5x7 B/W images of Ghost Ranch, and the August issue of Outdoor Photographer features Richard Garrod's 4x5/5x7 B/W shots.

The humorous thing is that in an OP issue dedicated to Black and White, the how-to articles are digital, but the featured portfolio is from a photographer who uses view cameras, film and silver gelatin paper. Well, I do give them credit for recognizing and publishing someone with genuine talent.

Re: Outdoor Photographer / New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Polcou View Post
    It's pretty rare when non fine-art magazines publish large format black and white portfolios, so just a note that there are two currently on newstands that are beautiful.

The July issue of New Mexico magazine features Craig Varjabedian's 5x7 B/W images of Ghost Ranch, and the August issue of Outdoor Photographer features Richard Garrod's 4x5/5x7 B/W shots.

The humorous thing is that in an OP issue dedicated to Black and White, the how-to articles are digital, but the featured portfolio is from a photographer who uses view cameras, film and silver gelatin paper. Well, I do give them credit for recognizing and publishing someone with genuine talent.
    Thanks for the post. Richard Garrod has for many years done excellent work and it is good to see him receive deserved recognition. His second book was published recently and I believe is available from John Sexton or perhaps Freestyle where Richard is an advisor. I will link his site which has more of his b&w silver images.

http://www.richardgarrodphoto.com/

The humorous thing is that in an OP issue dedicated to Black and White, the how-to articles are digital, but the featured portfolio is from a photographer who uses view cameras, film and silver gelatin paper. Well, I do give them credit for recognizing and publishing someone with genuine talent.[/QUOTE]

They did a similar issue about two years ago. Something like "what would ansel do?"

Heads up......there is currently an exhibit at the Albuquerque Museum with
    Craig Varjabedian's 5x7 B/W images of Ghost Ranch.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Heads up......there is currently an exhibit at the Albuquerque Museum with
    Craig Varjabedian's 5x7 B/W images of Ghost Ranch.
    Take a peek here:

http://www.craigvarjabedian.com/print_offer.html

Don Bryant

Yes, I've seen his work before. Quite nice.

> I do give them credit for recognizing and publishing someone with genuine talent.

Yes, what do you think of the cover: an image of Upper Antelope Canyon, taken not earlier than 2004, by a photographer outside of her region of specialty and who only recently converted her images to B&W (not that I am implying anything negative against her at all) with a composition and light that couldn't be more straightforward ?

I would have liked it a lot better if it had a black and chrome Harley Davidson with a bikini model, lit with a portable Profoto beauty dish, with an assistant pumping a stream of water on her body from above, with different colored gels illuminating the layers of canyon wall behind her, but the Navajo kindly refused my request.