Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Is the "perfect" Clip To Hold Sheet Film?

Which Is the "perfect" Clip To Hold Sheet Film?

I bought some refrigerator magnets with big plastic spring clips. The magnet pops off, so I can hang them with a hook, and they have only light force, so they just hold, but don't damage. So far they've worked fine.

You can get 1/8 inch diameter paper punches, if you want to pursue that. For smaller holes, Harbor Freight sells a metal punch with a 2mm hole as the smallest in the set, and you can also look at a leather punch, which has a similar size hole, but might be harder to use.

I forget the brand name or exactly what they're called, but I purchased a hole bunch of clips at an office supply store. They're about an inch wide and an inch long, maybe a half inch thick. The spring portion comes in different colors, several colors to a pack, and the clip and handle portion are chrome. They do a good job of holding onto just the edge of the film. And, they're inexpensive.

Being non-photographic, I was a little concerned that the chrome would deteriorate, or something. But, I haven't seen any problems.

Why not just get some plastic cloths pins and put them on a corner. I used them for years. Just wash them off so there is NO risk on contamination(this is why you don't want to use the wooden ones!). I must say that I now have a cabinet dryer with the Kodak clips... Cheers

Earlier in the large format pages I got this great clip tip. I now use small chromed clips called Boston Clip No. 0 (zero) made by the Hunt corporation. They are available at art stores in all sizes, mine for 24 cents each. The nice features are that the edges of the clips fit beautifully so that you can grab just a micron of that sheet film corner AND the handles already have nifty holes that make them a snap to hang on a piece of wire stretched over your tub or whatever. Cheap, precise, easy, cleanable if ever needed and no more marks in the picture are ever again... God, its fun to get so excited about film clips!! I know, its very weird.....

Scott

I use a small Jobo tray with two rubber bands strung across. There are two small grove at the bottom of the tray, so one tray can hold two 4X5 negs. I use the rubber band and and bring it in contact to the side of the negs. (Perpendicular to it.) So the negs will stay upright. Three trays, six negs, just enough for the Jobo drum.

Just curious, if your film is clean, why would your wooden clothes pins become contaminated?

Steve,

I don't know, the ones I use seem to stay clean. I did have a problem using the Old style (one piece) ones they left a heck of a fold in the film... I now use the spring type..

Mac