Thread: Where can I see original Westons, Adams, etc?

Where can I see original Westons, Adams, etc?

I've been hankering to see some original Westons, Adams', Misrach and other larg e format work and am wondering if there is a particular museum/gallery I should visit. I have a vacation coming up and would like to see some of these prints. The Seattle museum here has all of one Weston and two small Adams prints which is better than nothing but I really would like to see a larger body of this wor k in the original. I've looked around, thinking maybe there is someplace in Car mel but without luck - anybody have some pointers? Thanks. Erik

I was recently in Sante Fe, New Mexico and visited a fine art photography gallery that had several large Adams prints and others including Cartier-Bresson, Karsch and Weston among others. I believe the gallery is called the Michael Adams Gallery. It is located just South of the center of old Sante Fe near movie theatre.

I know what you mean about seeing the real thing. A number of years ago I happened to see in the paper the notice of an exhibition of Weston here in Denver that toured the country and was blown away with the amount of his work exhibited and the divergent subjects. I would also like to find out other offerings by large format photographers in other parts of the country if anyone else would like to chime in.

Weston Gallery and Photography West in Carmel, CA, both have a good selection of the DWM (Dead White Males) you are looking for, as does Russell Levin's Gallery in Monterey. While you're here, I'll show you some of mine (Live White Male), 8x10 contacts from "The Witches." http://www.ravenvision.com/witches.htm The Best Kept Secret around here is that the West Coast school is very much alive, though very little else in Carmel is.

There is a Weston Gallery in Carmel. You would likely see some of at least one of the Westons there. In San Francisco is the Ansel Adams Center which always has some of his work on exhibit.

There is (or at least used to be) a gallery in San Francisco near the Moscone Center which had some of Adam's work. Also, the Ansel Adams Center for ??? at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

As you discovered, , most museums in major metropolitan area have photgraphic co llections. Check the yellow pages for galleries. As you may suspect, New York C ity would have extensive cleections and exhibits. Don't forget colleges and univ ersities. The U of Arizona is good., There is a gallery is New Orleans on Royal Street (next to the police sub-station) in the French Quarter that has an extens ive and diverse collection of photography. I cannot recall the exact name but it is along the lines ot "A Photography Place." Its always worth a visit; they eve n had a Hill salt print on display the last time I was there.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

In addition to some of the other ideas in the other replies, there is currently a traveling collection of Adams' work sponsored by the Friends of Photography (t he same group that operates the center near the Moscone Center in San Francisco) . If memory serves, the show is currently in Fort Wayne, IN, and will be there until sometime this winter. After that, it moves to Japan for some period of ti me.

You might also check the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite National Park-- I belie ve they have a number of original works on display. The Center for Creative Pho tography in Tuscon also houses a number of original works by various artists.

Erik;

This may be too far for you to go, but for others, I viewed 70+ A. Adams orginal prints at the Wildlife Federation Offices in Washington, DC in the late 80's. These prints were give to the Wildlife Federation by Adams and they had these on permanent display in their offices. I was able to view these prints by myself for about one hour on the walls of their offices during their lunch hour. Awsom e!!

I left DC in 1991, and I think I heard that they moved their offices, but I susp ect they still have these on display as they are a one-of-a-kind collection with some prints never shown elsewhere.

A quick search of the Web should locate them.

Gene, was that WWF or NWF? When I worked at N.W.F. in '94, the offices were at 1600 14th street N.W., right up from the circle and the old N.R.A. bldg, (talk about your neighbor rivalries!) In the time I was ther, I saw no A.A.'s but I did see a lot of Roger Tory Petersons. They have a large facility in No Va as well, Reston I think, honestly I can't remember. The A.A.'s were not on display there either. Hmmmm kind of a bummer, I wish I'd known about 'em when I was there.