Thread: Enlarger problem I -- D2 negative carrier

Enlarger problem I -- D2 negative carrier

Hi,

This is the second D2 negative carrier question in a day, I see!

OK, so I printed my first 4x5 photos last night (I've done 35mm before), and I experienced two distinct problems. The other will have to wait for me to get my scanner working, but if anybody can advise on this one, I'd be very grateful.

I have an Omega D2 or DII enlarger (the provenance of my enlarger is murky -- it's basically a DII that's labeled as D2, ie., a D2 with no gears to raise it. Gem Singer has kindly given me most of a D2 which I will soon start using, but I digress). I bought the 4x5 negative carrier separately, but it does fit the enlarger. I found last night that it was one of the more frustrating devices to use that it has been my displeasure to encounter. Essentially, I found it impossible to use without buckling the negative at least a millimeter or two -- so obviously my focus was severely compromised, and it's hard for me to evaluate the resulting prints.

I'm going to describe the carrier to see if it sounds like other people's D-two negative carriers, and if I'm doing something wrong. The main body of the thing is essentially roundish, with a big handle and with some big 2d "spikes" going back to engage the enlarger / snap in place. There is a white half and a black half, and they fold apart (like with most negative carriers). The hole in the black half is too large for a 4x5 negative -- if I set it there, the negative would just fall through. The white half is just the right size. Now, the white piece, along each 4" edge, has a kind of clasp. Think of a razor blade but not sharp. The negative slides under these. No problem there, it fits great.

However, on each long edge there is a round, flat stud, in the center of the 5" edge, and sticking maybe 1-1.5mm off the surface. Suppose I slide the negative through the above-mentioned clasps, so that the bottom 5" edge is resting on the side of one of these studs on the carrier. Then the other edge is resting (barely) on the TOP of the opposite stud. In other words, the inner edges of these studs are not quite 4" apart! I can bend the negative slightly so that it does lie between the two studs, and then it buckles, with an amplitude of buckle approaching 2mm. Or I can leave it resting on the stud, so that the whole upper side is 1mm farther from the surface than the other. Either is, of course, totally unacceptable, and I can't believe that Omega would make such an awful design. On the other hand, the studs are clearly totally immovable, and were never meant to be adjusted.

Another possibility. I practiced some with an undeveloped piece of film, and could _just_ fit it in. Did I do something, perhaps, that made my other film stretch in development? Is there any way to avoid this?

As you can imagine, I am thinking of switching to glass carriers, but I don't really want to, and was wondering if I am doing something badly wrong. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
    Stephen

Re: Enlarger problem I -- D2 negative carrier

Your carrier may be for 4x5 film pack (or perhaps Polaroid?). Try another 4x5 film carrier if You can borrow one before considering a glass carrier. Mine is two pieces of machined aluminum, not connected by a hinge, just 4 studs in one and matchng holes in the other.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by semck83 View Post
    I'm going to describe the carrier to see if it sounds like other people's D-two negative carriers, and if I'm doing something wrong. The main body of the thing is essentially roundish, with a big handle and with some big 2d "spikes" going back to engage the enlarger / snap in place. There is a white half and a black half, and they fold apart (like with most negative carriers).
    Can you post a picture of the neg carrier? It doesn't sound like one I have seen before. The ones I have use are in two pieces with no hinges or clamps. The glassless D2 carrier I have has the same sized opening on both pieces, 3 5/8" x 4 5/8". I've attached a picture of the one I have so you can compare.

-Darren
    Last edited by Darren Kruger; 19-Jul-2009 at 21:35. Reason: attached photo

Perhaps your carrier halves should be reversed, top to bottom, that is. I have a Beseler and the neg carriers are interchangeable; some of the studs are for locking the carrier pieces together, and other studs (on the bottom) are for fixing the carrier to the enlarger. You may also have two tops or two bottoms, but I can't tell without a photo.
    After much frustration on my own end, I used two pieces of 8"x8" glass to sandwich the neg and voila! perfect negative carrier.
    Good luck.

It almost sounds like the OP has a neg carrier that is supposed to have a pane of glass in it but, the glass is missing....or, perhaps...???

I really cannot imagine any other reason for the window dimensions on one side to be so big as to allow a standard sheet of film to fall through???

Or, maybe...it is something like the Beseler Nega-flat?

IDK.

We need a photo of the thing in question.

for what it is worth the 4x5 neg carrier that came with my Omega D2 looks exactly like the one Darren has posted above.

Octogenarian

Stephen,

From your description, it sounds like a 4X5 glass negative carrier with the glass missing.

Might have been modified for someone's specific use.

Original glassless D-2 carriers are bare aluminum on both the top and bottom halves. A 4X5 negative should fit without falling through the opening.

Newer D-5 carriers have both halves finished in black, with a metal rim that fits into the negative stage opening on the enlarger, and serves as a light trap. They also work on older D-2's.

You don't have the proper 4X5 negative holder.

Thanks to all. Based on your posts and an image on the auction site, I was able to confirm that I had a glass D5 negative carrier without the glass. Presumably the clasps I was using were for glass, not film.

Thanks to Darren's picture, I was able to go trade it in for a correct D2 holder. I expect my sharpness should be substantially improved. :-) I appreciate the help.

Incidentally, sorry for not including a photo of the holder. I don't own a digital camera, and it did not seem worth the hassle -- if it could be avoided -- of photographing it and then scanning a fuzzy print. If anybody still cares to know what it looked like, PM me and I can find a link online.

Stephen

Octogenarian

Glad that you were able to obtain the proper negative holder, Stephen.

Did you manage to find the proper condensers for 4X5 negatives?

I did. More in a private message.