Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the silliest thing you've done with a camera

Whats the silliest thing you've done with a camera

Howdy
    I've been shooting the bathers at my local pond all summer, and I wanted a different angle on the swimmers and tanners, so I brought a ladder and set my tripod next to it as high as it would go with my crown graphic on top, I even brought the legs in to get up like 10 feet, it was a blast and you get some funny looks sitting on the top of a ladder in a pond.
    About a year ago it wouldn't stop raining and I was itching to shoot people in Boston, so I bought a chintzy umbrella (black and fake chrome to match my graphic), and gaff taped it to my tripod, it kept the camera dry and all the water ran off onto my back, again I got funny looks and people were stopping ME on the street. Both times I felt like the cleverest photog in the world but you guys got to have me beat on that, whats the silliest thing you've ever done to get a picture?

Re: Whats the silliest thing you've done with a camera

Probably taking an 8x10 Gowland aerial camera down a ski slope at Heavenly Valley above Lake Tahoe. No tripod, I shot handheld, using trees or piles of snow (when handy)for support. I had a few holders riding in a Jansport Equinox. I left my ski poles at the lodge and carried the camera up the lift and skied down the slopes with it in one hand
    (And it was a blast!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

the only thing that dropped in was my sync cable

I laid down in the street with my tripod over me and water running in the gutter around me to get a picture straight up a skyscraper in downtown Portland. I wanted the ornate street lights in the picture. Snow was settling fast on the lens, and each successive image got blurrier. Someday I'll print them as a series.

--Gary

Left it at home.

My wife did an ER rotation in a major urban center and on an X-Ray she saw....

Craziest thing here is trying to get a moderate aerial view... standing on a ladder on top of a picnic table with two Bogen Auto-Poles joined together and a Superclamp holding a Crown Graphic with a 90mm lens, with a long air release, to get a shot of our house from about 25 feet off the ground. It worked.

Used it to sit on it. A part of a rigidity test of a homemade camera. It held with flying colors...

Peter

I contributed to what somebody else started with this AE1, but I think this counts as pretty silly.
    I was doing zone system tests with still life and beer.
    Peter

George Sheils

Like you Eddy, I was shooting a series of pictures on swimmers involved in offshore races.

The swimmers were all lined up on a breakwater jetty which went from the shore out about 30 yds into the sea.

I wanted to get in close to the action so I waded in fully clothed up to my armpits in the water just behind the breakwater and fired away using my pentax MX 35mm camera.

Got absolutely soaked...with little regard for salt water entering the camera (which survived btw) ...but got some great shots.

Lots of locals who knew me looked at each other and were making little circles with their fingers over their temples..obviously felt I was completely bonkers.

multiplex

lugged a graphic view II + speed graphic + tripod across
    the loose grout wall of a quarry in boston / quincy ..
    the first step was a doozy!