Page 345 of 403 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 4030

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Wunderbar Hendrik! It's good to see your work here. You are an inspiration to me as one day I hope to try the copper plate gravure process.

Hendrik, I've missed your images, I'm glad to see you post once more! Your images inspired me to look into photogravure; I made my first steps into that terrain about a year ago, but haven't done much about it over the past few months.
    What kind of screen do you use for these? So far I've just used the dot 'screen' in my printed positives (black ink only), but I'm not sure if I like the way highlights are rendered with this approach.

thank you, chassis & koraks. For some months I was too busy with my job, but now I retired and hope to find more time for photography - yet in the moment my darkroom is frozen, no water, and far away from 20 degree celsius and 65% moisture prefered for etching. I do not use a printed screen, but asphalt aquatinta from a dustbox, burnt on plate under the gelatine - somewhat messy, but good tonality, if etching is correct, which was not in this plate. Generally I work low precision, so I am not sure, where the mistake was.

It seems like a proper aquatint screen is still the way to go then. I've been contemplating making screens by enlarging the grain of something like old Delta 3200 developed in rodinal onto xray film and then stripping off the backside. I'm not sure if it'll work, but I may try a little experiment with this approach. The printed screens are a mediocre solution at best, also because there's some inevitable banding with my printer.

Thank you Hendrik for a description of your process. How do you produce the positive image? I have looked online and it is not easy for me to understand.

Beste Grüsse

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Thank you Hendrik for a description of your process. How do you produce the positive image? I have looked online and it is not easy for me to understand.

Beste Grüsse
    If I am in a nostalgic mood, I make a contact print on film and develop low contrast.
    Otherwise (like this tpicture) I scan the neg, invert, mirroir, lower the contast and print out on pictorio OHP with black/red ink. There is a lot of literature about digital negatives. Works with some adjustment as well for positiv. Be careful with the OHP-specimen, that can take much pigment, that one is rather uv- blocking.
    Overview on photogravure is here: http://www.photogravure.com/process/process.html
    or in german: http://www.heliogravuere.de/index_dt.html
    If you are more interested, you should read the monography of Morris. There is also a short - well informed - chapter in the book of Christopher James
    h.

Thank you Hendrik, this is good information and I will continue my learning process. I can read German so I will look at that site also.

Indeed I too was inspired by Hendriks images and am also learning my way. But oddly maybe I started with normal, e g non photo gravure, just graphical etchings and learning my way around rosin aquatint and such.

I'm looking forward to more prints from you, Hendrik. All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norther swamp.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	159344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lucy.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	159345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mussels.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	159346

All images are mine, the swamp is in north eastern Ontario, My dog Lucy keeping us safe, and from my food series.

All prints are tri toned pigment in gum. Revere Paper, Daniel Smith Pigments.

I am trying something different these days by laying down a opaque pigment first and then add the transparent and it seems to work for me.

Lucy(print) is great!
    h.