Page 310 of 404 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Hi Erik

are you doing multiple prints to get the warmth over the print , ie separated negatives or are you using same negative for pt pd and then gum over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Canyonlands NP.
    8x10 fp4 using 305 graphic kowa. Gum over pt/pd. Digineg on pictorico. Forgive the iPhone repro please
    Attachment 142314

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Erik

are you doing multiple prints to get the warmth over the print , ie separated negatives or are you using same negative for pt pd and then gum over?
    Hi Bob, same negative for both. The gum only reaches to the lower mids to punch up the dmax a bit. I would need a softer negative if I wanted the gum to go all the way to the highs. It is a warm print, but I believe the iPhone white balance makes it appear warmer than reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Erik thank you - no its a photo based image. The look I am getting with tri pigment over palladium is quite different . this method of printing allow for much experimentation within a image. the blue highlight negative really worked for this image.
    By playing with tones on different negs you can produce a very significant dmax pt pd print that is sharp, to this soft rendition.. remember this is a digital camera capture of a print I made, so it is a bit softer than the original.

I am about to do a series of Black White images solarized in the film and start applying pigment to different tonal regions... I really am excited about all of this.
    I admire where you are taking this to, I look forward to seeing more of this line of work.

I am setting up 10 images right now for printing over next two weeks i will post a few. Just got another commission for a lovely series taken in Iraq , so I am quite busy with this and really loving this direction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img098.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	142772

4x10 Palladium platinum using the dichromate method on Arches platine.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

salt print from whole plate negative,

Blue Ridge Depot at night by john golden, on Flickr
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Canyonlands NP.
    8x10 fp4 using 305 graphic kowa. Gum over pt/pd. Digineg on pictorico. Forgive the iPhone repro please
    Attachment 142314
    Really stunning image. Would love to see the original print. Can you give us any details of the process? Which pigments did you use; how many coats; paper; etc.
    Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ciccone View Post
    Really stunning image. Would love to see the original print. Can you give us any details of the process? Which pigments did you use; how many coats; paper; etc.
    Thanks for any additional info you can provide.

Don
    Thanks Don. Nothing that exotic about the process I used. Single coat of pt/pd on platine paper. Sized the print with pva diluted a bit. Single coat of gum exposed for about 60% of the pt/pd exposure to put a little enhancement in the shadows. Windsor Newton lamp black with a little bit of burnt umber pigment was used in the gum coat. That's it.

Thanks for the information Erik, much appreciated. Is there a reason you prefer a digital negative over the in camera original? Do you alter the image much in PhotoShop? Either way, the result is really great.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ciccone View Post
    Thanks for the information Erik, much appreciated. Is there a reason you prefer a digital negative over the in camera original? Do you alter the image much in PhotoShop? Either way, the result is really great.

Don
    I don't prefer digital negs Don, it was the only way to get a bigger print made that was requested. I'm terrible at photoshop and avoid it like the plague if I can...