Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

.....ridiculously good!

Downstairs

Gandolfi,
    Superb!

Gandolfi, what others said. You are a true master.

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

First attempt to print Pt over pigment on Japanese Goyu Kozo paper (Mullberry). the paper is very thin, and the difficulty is getting it thru the printer for the color layer

color layer:

scan of print:

The paper soaks up the solution like a sponge, so in addition to the platinum/palladium and sensitizer, extra water needs to be added. This attempt was adding as much water as solution (image size of this print is about 8x10). i have some 11x14's to do, but need to get the workflow down on a smaller size first. The paper is fairly translucent after you print on it, so you'd need an additional white backing to provide the 'white' of the image

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    First attempt to print Pt over pigment on Japanese Goyu Kozo paper (Mullberry). the paper is very thin, and the difficulty is getting it thru the printer for the color layer
    Jim, have you tried taping the mulberry firmly down to another sheet? I do this with vellum and just sacrificed a donor sheet of inkjet paper to play carrier sheet to all of the vellum through the printer.

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Jim, have you tried taping the mulberry firmly down to another sheet? I do this with vellum and just sacrificed a donor sheet of inkjet paper to play carrier sheet to all of the vellum through the printer.
    try taping only the edge that gets fed first....leaving the other 3 sides of Kozo loose so they doing get creased...

ok... getting the knack of kozo and platinum over pigment. The paper just drinks the solution, so after some experimenting, the ideal is to add as much extra water as you put in the Ferric Oxalate solution. For an 11x14, it's 36 drops Ferric Ox., 24 drops Palladium, 12 drops Platinum and then an additional 36 drops water.

Here's a scan of the 11x14 print

Ok folks- you that mask your negatives prior to contact printing using construction paper or such - do you have any issues with maintaining contact pressure in your frame? I tried to outsmart myself by using some red film for stage lights, thinking that red would be a sufficient mask (even if transparent) due to UV sensitivity of emulsion (saltprint specifically) and thin enough to allow for good contact, but there was still a fair amount of exposure on the masked frame. So I guess I need something opaque but I'm wondering about thickness and maintaining good contact pressure. I know it must work as I see examples herein, but need more info on materials. thanks.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    Ok folks- you that mask your negatives prior to contact printing using construction paper or such - do you have any issues with maintaining contact pressure in your frame? I tried to outsmart myself by using some red film for stage lights, thinking that red would be a sufficient mask (even if transparent) due to UV sensitivity of emulsion (saltprint specifically) and thin enough to allow for good contact, but there was still a fair amount of exposure on the masked frame. So I guess I need something opaque but I'm wondering about thickness and maintaining good contact pressure. I know it must work as I see examples herein, but need more info on materials. thanks.
    Go down to your local arts supplier and pick up some rubylith film -- cheap, very thin. You don't have to remove it from its backing to use -- just low tack tape. Works better than construction paper, and will block more UV than the stage lighting filters.

If you don't have an arts supplier, you can find it on the internet and have it shipped.

Gandolfi - I am in awe of your work - superb!