Page 16 of 403 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    There used to be a rec.photo alt process group in which a lot of great alt process printers participated. It was a very contentious group but also contained a lot of excellent discussions and information. That group got me started with gum printing. Is it no longer around?

Not to add more noise but I agree with your points about the rule in question as others also obviously do. So why not discuss it again as it applies to alt processes and possibly change it? I actually don't remember the rule being discussed in the first place but whenever it was being discussed I doubt that there was a lot of focus on how it would work with alt processes. I'm not sure putting things in the Lounge is a good solution. Some of us have blocked the Lounge from our unified view and I for one would hate to have to open it up again just to see the occasional alt process thread.

I sure don't recall any discussions to the effect that the equipment rules of the format also applied to discussion of alternative photography so it was something of a surprise to me when others asserted this as established policy. Whatever, it sure makes no sense to me and the fact that quite a few others agree with me is comforting in that I know I am not out there on a limb with some dangerous and radical thought.

Is there some established process for bringing up discussion of the rules?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    Not meant to offend anyone, Brian.
    Peer review groups can be tricky places to have your passions revealed. Sometimes I think its good to not take it too seriously, is where I was going.
    I'm sure you didn't intend any offense and I hope my little dig didn't offend you. I started to put a smiley next to it but was afraid someone would take me to task and claim I was making light of a serious subject.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My bag of tricks is dry, but here's another carbon- lamp black with a little azo yellow

Anyone here doing any gumoil work? Some great bromoils on the thread but wondering if anyone other than Karl Koenig is having much luck with the process. Looks interesting- http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...89367707351277

Colin, this thread notwithstanding, your images are some of the most outstanding I've seen. I've scoured your website numerous times.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    Some really wonderful work!
    Here's two whole plate alumitypes

Great pictures!

SO NICE to see images again!
    And great ones too!!

Colin: you asked about gumoil printers. I have a friend, that "dabbles" with that technique - I don't think he is a member in here (kind of old, and not too familiar with the web....) BUT he IS on APUG, and he has a portfolio in there.
    I am amazed about the techical quality and precision in his images.
    He taught him self in doing this ("I use the long winter nights to practice")......

I have never thought much about this technique untill I saw his work..

Take a look: http://www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=19686

Here are four images, made from the same negative, as bromoils.
    I use liquid emulsion as matriz, and that gives me the possibillity to manipulate the emulsion, before making it a bromoil.
    the results are quite different - see for your selves..

Last edited by Emil Schildt; 24-Jul-2009 at 03:28. Reason: adding more images

Thanks Paul! That made my morning, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for that link Gandolfi- what extraordinary work. I really want to try some sort of duotone or tricolor process and had been thinking of gum or gumoil but after seeing all these great bromoils of yours the choise is even more difficult.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Gandolfi,,

these are incredible,, looks like old charcoal drawings

The general (and somewhat loose) policy against posting small-format digital captures to to avoid the "my pixel is better than your grain of silver" types of discussions that always seem to creep in. Because of that, we have tried to keep the core forums LF-related. There is nothing preventing discussions of non-LF photography (or, digital printing) in The Lounge, however.

Discussions of traditional printing processes that have historically been dubbed "alternative processes" (carbon transfer, gum, etc.) are also allowed by the guidelines in either the Darkroom section or the On Photography section, even though they may not be originated from LF negs. Which section would be most appropriate depends on the nature of the discussion. The discussion, however, should be about the printing process (and/or the aesthetics involved), not the method of image capture.

How to tone an inkjet print made from a digital P&S camera with a mix of tea and Roadrunner urine probably wouldn't be appropriate in either section of the core forums, however.

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Anyone here doing any gumoil work? Some great bromoils on the thread but wondering if anyone other than Karl Koenig is having much luck with the process.
    I don't, but if you look up Karena Goldfinch on Flickr, she does really great stuff.

Look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/22267060@N04/