Page 157 of 403 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 4030

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

TT -- very well done. Lighting, background, and hands in particular.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Thanks Monty and Vaughn. Portrait in Platinum is a class by itself. This one seems to go well with the medium.

Claudio Santambrogio

Salted paper print from calotype negative.

Larger image and more info over at Flickr.
    Last edited by csant; 28-Jun-2012 at 09:38.

I have a quick question. Mind you, I have never printed anything in my life. Now that I have some negatives, and I have really enjoyed the images of the carbon and bromoil processes. What is the best way to get started? I live in CT, and I see that there is a seminar coming up in the fall at CAP in NYC for carbon printing. Is starting from a point of complete ignorance into a workshop a good idea, or a waste of time for others that are there, and my time as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    I have a quick question. Mind you, I have never printed anything in my life. Now that I have some negatives, and I have really enjoyed the images of the carbon and bromoil processes. What is the best way to get started? I live in CT, and I see that there is a seminar coming up in the fall at CAP in NYC for carbon printing. Is starting from a point of complete ignorance into a workshop a good idea, or a waste of time for others that are there, and my time as well?
    Since you live in CT contact Carl Weese regarding his workshop schedule. He is in CT also and he is definitely one of the best palladium printers out there.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by csant View Post
    Salted paper print from calotype negative.
    Beautiful print Claudio.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

What I did was purchase The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes by Christopher James and started with the Cyanotype, probably the easiest alternative process to learn, and proceeded to the Van Dyke and Kallitype where I am currently at. The latter are beautiful processes and I found myself spending much more time with the latter two than I had originally thought I would. Here is an example:

Once you start to work in a process you quickly realize that an image can only be enhanced by a particular process and not "made" by it and "seeing" (and finding!) the image is the time consuming part. But I digress...

I would recommend that you "get your feet wet" before jumping into a workshop with an expert. That way you will profit the most from the workshop.

Thomas

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Personally I think that reading everything you can and understanding the carbon transfer process is a must. I only print carbon transfer. You need to "see" how it is done and do it yourself. If you take a workshop from a good teacher you will have all you need. Then you have to print, print print.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Personally I think that reading everything you can and understanding the carbon transfer process is a must. I only print carbon transfer. You need to "see" how it is done and do it yourself. If you take a workshop from a good teacher you will have all you need. Then you have to print, print print.

Dominik

Claudio what paper did you use for the callotype negative if you don't mind me asking. Beautiful print btw.

Dominik