Page 136 of 404 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

One of my favorite lunch break spots near Moab along the Colorado River. 11x14 efke pl100 palladiium toned kallitype on stonehedge paper.
    regards
    erik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colorado River.jpg  

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here's my latest and to date greatest print of this negative:

Kallitype Brown Print (Van Dyke), Fabriano Aristico. It looks a little lop-sided because the paper is too large for my scanner bed (epson 3200).

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Here's my latest and to date greatest print of this negative:

Kallitype Brown Print (Van Dyke), Fabriano Aristico. It looks a little lop-sided because the paper is too large for my scanner bed (epson 3200).

Thomas
    I like it Thomas, practice makes perfect I guess. Are you toning in any way or is this the natural look of the developer? I sometimes love the look of an un toned kallitype but worry perhaps unnecessarily about deterioration over time of the print.
    Regards
    Erik

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I like it Thomas, practice makes perfect I guess. Are you toning in any way or is this the natural look of the developer? I sometimes love the look of an un toned kallitype but worry perhaps unnecessarily about deterioration over time of the print.
    Regards
    Erik
    Thanks Erik.

Practice does make perfect. In this case I discovered that I get consistent results from one print to the next by swirling the sensitizer before pouring enough to coat one sheet and pouring any remainder back in the bottle. I believe that procedure keeps the heavy metals dispersed in solution rather than sinking to the bottom of the container between pours.

I did not tone the above print and believe that the slight pinkish/red brown coloration is the natural color of the Van Dyke after developing and fixing. During exposure you can watch the tree limbs as well as the oncovered coated edges turn a chocolate brown after a minute or so but that is not the resulting coloration upon development. I have read that toning in selenium changes the red browns to a chocolate brown but in my limited experience toning with selenium before fixing rapidly bleaches the image. Maybe selenium tone after fixing? I do plan on gold toning and/or Palladium in the future.

Finally, I tried several different 140-lb HP papers with this batch and got the better results with FA. Lanaquraelle gave a stronger coloration but weaker Dmax.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Sometimes it is difficult to decide what thread to put an image.... this case the portrait or this thread...

But as this is "my" thread I'll do it here:

Just made a rather big portrait of my late father. (approx 20x28").
    I chose to make it as a "messy" bromoil version.

He was a priest - and knighted by our Queen. He was so peoud of that order, so that's my reason to portray him like this.
    Looking stern - wasn't... rather distant.

Pol 665

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Gandolfi,

Just superb!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    gandolfi I love your work. Tremendously unique and inspiring.
    Very Nice Gandolfi. Royalty in our midst A wonderful tribute I think.
    regards
    erik
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Emil, this is a great picture and a wonderful tribute to a Father...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    A wonderful, meaningful image, Emil. It's always special when technique and vision combine with something from the heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzval Paul View Post
    Emil, That is just beautiful! Perfect in every way!
    +7! (Had to count.)

Wonderful portrait and tribute.

Wasting away another weekend in the darkroom This is a pt/pd print on a heavily wavy textured Hahnemuhle Torchon watercolor paper.
    regards
    erik
    All three you've posted in the past couple of pages are excellent, Erik. I think this is my favorite, mainly because the texture of the paper comes through in the sky on my computer monitor. Another could well be my favorite in person.

I hadn't been to this thread in a long while, and then hadn't looked through it as careful as it clearly deserves. There is a lot of excellent, beautiful work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks! No, you are not blind -- they are hard enough to see on a home computer, let alone a phone! LOL!

One deer to the left and two to the right of the wood sticking up out of the water on the left (a young buck and a couple of gals). They are lying down on the far shore. A friend and a couple of his grandchildren were backpacking (camping where I took the photo) down at the Tall Trees Grove for a couple nights. I hiked in with the 8x10 to join them just for the day.
    I can make them out, just, on my 19" computer monitor. Really nice image. I'm sure it would be quite impressive viewing the actual print.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thanks Erik.

Practice does make perfect. In this case I discovered that I get consistent results from one print to the next by swirling the sensitizer before pouring enough to coat one sheet and pouring any remainder back in the bottle. I believe that procedure keeps the heavy metals dispersed in solution rather than sinking to the bottom of the container between pours.

I did not tone the above print and believe that the slight pinkish/red brown coloration is the natural color of the Van Dyke after developing and fixing. During exposure you can watch the tree limbs as well as the oncovered coated edges turn a chocolate brown after a minute or so but that is not the resulting coloration upon development. I have read that toning in selenium changes the red browns to a chocolate brown but in my limited experience toning with selenium before fixing rapidly bleaches the image. Maybe selenium tone after fixing? I do plan on gold toning and/or Palladium in the future.

Finally, I tried several different 140-lb HP papers with this batch and got the better results with FA. Lanaquraelle gave a stronger coloration but weaker Dmax.

Thomas
    Thomas, I've had horrible success with selenium toning kallitypes, staining very badly. I've only tried it after fixing and washing but not before fixing like I do with pt/pd toning so I gave up on selenium toning. I like the lanaquarelle too but it was hard to clear with my methods compared to FA or stonehenge or some hahnemuhle papers I've tried. I don't mix the silver nitrate and FO together, they are only mixed together with a syringe for each solution right before coating. Does it make a difference, I don't know? Keep experimenting and sharing the results, it's useful imo.
    regards
    erik

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    All three you've posted in the past couple of pages are excellent, Erik. I think this is my favorite, mainly because the texture of the paper comes through in the sky on my computer monitor. Another could well be my favorite in person.

I hadn't been to this thread in a long while, and then hadn't looked through it as careful as it clearly deserves. There is a lot of excellent, beautiful work here.
    Thanks Roger for the nice comments!
    regards
    erik

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Professor Valley.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	68565I'm running out of pt/pd and am feeling cheap so here's as close as I could come to this image in platinum It is an 11x14 edu ultra printed as kallitype on 300lb lanaquarelle toned in platinum. From Professor Valley in Utah.
    regards
    erik