Page 124 of 403 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 4030

Thread: post alternative techniques

Claudio Santambrogio

Re: post alternative techniques

Thank you kindly, Vaughn! I'll try keeping an eye on my pulling technique, plus developing longer. And I'll get back to you with results - or more questions Might take a few weeks though, I am traveling the next ten days and won't be in the studio.

My pleasure. I am giving a one-on-one workshop later this week, so I get to do some printing myself, too.

Safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    First of all Vaughn, thanks for the nice comment as this means a lot to me. Your are the one I have to hold accountable for this carbon madness after all! It was rather interesting looking up from under the dark cloth to see my "audience" when I was taking that shot. Funny how many people came into the creek after they saw me! Digital madness.

Claudio, Vaughn taught me carbon transfer and he has hit the nail on the head. Sometimes the support that you use can have ripples in it and it can show through on the final image. It is a delicate balance between excellent work flow all the way through. You need to be sure that the development is complete. Try some reduction with the light on to see if that helps. There are times when you get a print that is stubborn and needs this.

I have had some success replicating the look of wetplate with some of my carbon prints.Wetplate is amazing and unique and I'm just saying the I'm trying to get some of the "look' which to me is the tone. A lot of this will depend on the image, lens I use and several other factors. So far I'm happy with the results. With carbon there are so many controls that it lends itself well to some experimentation from time to time. One MUST keep good notes as well. Thanks for drilling this into my head, Vaughn!
    The master who taught the other master. Nice to see so much knowledge in one place.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

"Master"...I don't know about that. I am just an artist who stumbled across the process in a magazine article and went for it. My purpose was just to make prints that sang the same song that I hear when I am in the redwoods. Look to someone like Sandy King who has not only mastered the process, but has done a tremendous amount of research and experimentation and has taught far more people than I.

I look forward to seeing Jim's show in July. It is 800 miles away, but I hope to be able to drive down, bringing my three 15 year old boys with me to see my folks down that way. I have a sneaky feeling that I will see prints that technically are equal or even surpass mine. More important than the technical aspects of carbon printing, I am very pleased to see great leaps in Jim's seeing -- based on what I seen of his work here. And to me that is far more important than the mastering of any particular process.

Vaughn

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    "Master"...I don't know about that. I am just an artist who stumbled across the process in a magazine article and went for it. My purpose was just to make prints that sang the same song that I hear when I am in the redwoods. Look to someone like Sandy King who has not only mastered the process, but has done a tremendous amount of research and experimentation and has taught far more people than I.

I look forward to seeing Jim's show in July. It is 800 miles away, but I hope to be able to drive down, bringing my three 15 year old boys with me to see my folks down that way. I have a sneaky feeling that I will see prints that technically are equal or even surpass mine. More important than the technical aspects of carbon printing, I am very pleased to see great leaps in Jim's seeing -- based on what I seen of his work here. And to me that is far more important than the mastering of any particular process.

Vaughn
    A master I am not either but I do appreciate the thought. I love the process and I print a lot! I mean a lot. Almost every night 2-4 prints. You learn an awful lot that way and you refine your process. As Vaughn has said Sandy has so much more knowledge of the whole process than I.

I really hope that you can make it for the opening, Vaughn. It would be great to see you and the boys again. Thanks for the nice compliment about my "seeing". This is where it all happens. I have many carbon prints that are just nice prints. Just because they are carbon prints doesn't make them good if the image itself is not well done. I learn so much from others work and I guess that some of it sticks in my aging brain!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

So I did manage three nice prints last night. These were taken on my Christmas trip to Yosemite. Got to love ice and carbon printing.

Wonderful, Jim!

What paper are you transferring onto? I can not tell from the scans, but a neutral to cool paper would seem to be able to give the whites (ice) a cooler look than the warmth of the mid-tones and shadows.

Do the prints have a duo-tone appearance, or is it too subtle to notice?

Vaughn

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

So I did manage three nice prints last night. These were taken on my Christmas trip to Yosemite. Got to love ice and carbon printing.
    These are beautiful Jim. I kept looking at your 8x20 Ice print and will frame it soon.
    4G for you
    Great subject, Great print, Great relief, Great work . Thanks a bunch.

@Vaughn,
    Jim visited me last Friday and showed me the the 8x20 Ice print. I believed is Agfa RC roll paper .I felt in love when I first saw it so Jim has signed the print
    The print looks real nice in person and the separation is outstanding.The highligh of the ice is glowing , very 3D due to the polar silver pigment and from the paper supported the relief .This is a Fine series and a MUST go to Jim Show in July IMO.

Hard to follow Claudio's beautiful portrait. Beautiful! Here is a shot from Bridalveil Creek shot on the 27th of December. No snow in the valley but the ice sure was nice. 8x10 carbon transfer print.
    Nice image, Jim.

Must have been cold out there, though?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Very nice images Jim!