Page 110 of 404 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by csant View Post
    I've been playing with albumen papers again - did a few toning tests…

Here is a gold and platinum toned albumen print (the scan really doesn't convey the subtle tonal nouances… couldn't get them to look right on screen…):

More info, a gold toned and a plain albumen print for comparison, and a larger image over at Flickr.
    That's a beautiful piece of work, stunning in its subtlety.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Took this negative on Gabriola this summer...
    Yes, a beautiful image!

Thank you Jay and Vaughn. How's the carbon coming Jay? I've not poured any tissues I've been happy with yet, but I've not had much chance to work on it either. Vaughn - the carbon workshop was definitely a highlight of my summer.

Claudio Santambrogio

Thank you, Mark!

sly, I was very fortunate to follow up Vaughn's excellent workshop with a visit to Tod Gangler's studio and darkroom, where he demonstrated his own working methods, and passed along some invaluable insights into the carbon printing process. Between the two experiences and teachers, I feel a solid foundation for building a personal process has been laid. I'm still making small prints, and I think that's the key to making early progress, for me. To concentrate more on printing, I've been using Polaroid 665 materials to produce negatives instantly. This material is capable of quite high contrast suitable for carbon prints, with practically no fog, so they print fairly quickly. One of the keys to satisfaction for me is dedication. Having dedicated work space, equipment, and materials makes consistency possible, and without consistency, progress is slow, at best. In this sense, not having my regular dark room has been fortuitous, as enlarging and all that goes along with it only conflict with carbon printing and competes for precious resources. Still, I have a very long way to go before I consider myself a competent carbon printer, but I'm having a lot of fun, all the same.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Nice to hear that Sly 7 jay got introduced to carbon by one of the finest teachers, Vaughn. It takes printing and manufacturing materials to unlock the potential of carbon. i can't thank Vaughn enough for his teaching and inspiration. Did he give me my magic bullet? I'm thinking..... yes!

Magic bullet... don't have no stinkin' magic bullet (but you take you're chances with the Humboldt County mushroom pizzas... )

No really, I just get folks started on the path. Jim and Jay both took off running on the path. And when the time, light and negatives are right, Sly will jump back on it, too.

Lots of incredible alt work shown here!

Well, I was up all night pouring tissues -- got a late start and squeezed in some platinum printing, too. I coated more platinum paper than I could print a couple weeks ago, so I froze it. Last night was an experiment to see how it held up in the freezer. Quite well as it turned out. I used a different type of negatives so it is hard to be sure, but it seemed the speed dropped a little, but the tonality of the prints did not suffer at all. Fun experiment!

Might coat a bunch of platinum/palladium paper and store it in the freezer as a way to bump up my working efficiency. I tried it once with sensitized carbon tissue without success -- the high humidity here seemed to keep the tissue a little damp. Others have been successful doing it, so I may just have to be extra careful wrapping it up and waiting longer before unwrapping it. The Platinum chemical process likes bit of moisture -- carbon not so much...

Time to go home a nap!

Vaughn

This is my first posting here at this forum. I´ve been reading and enjoying the images and discussions for a while now and it´s about time I contributed.
    This is a wet plate collodion image, scanned before varnishing.

Untitled by broddi, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    That's a beautiful piece of work, stunning in its subtlety.
    Agreed! Keep posting things like that and you guys are going to have me trying alternative processes! !
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by broddi View Post
    This is my first posting here at this forum. I´ve been reading and enjoying the images and discussions for a while now and it´s about time I contributed.
    This is a wet plate collodion image, scanned before varnishing.
    The results are wonderful. Please keep posting your work
    Questions and comments are always welcome