I've not made any alternative print yet, but I feel I have to step up and voice an opinion of outsider from this field:

1) Steve M Hostetter has posted several instant film images - and they are considered fit for inclusion here.

2) Sandy King has posted several alternative prints (in the strict sense of the term) - and they are not considered fit.

To me, both of these are wrong. Now why:

ad 1) there is totally nothing alternative in an instant print. It's just a straight capture, like using a digital camera attached to the LF gear and then printing the image. Steve has said it's alternative to darkroom work in his view. Well, then all of us having a hybrid workflow are producing alternative work - it's alternative to the darkroom. And that is untrue in the strict sense of what alternative print means to the majority of us. If I were the moderator of the forum, I'd delete those posts (if any at all). But I'm not and that is only my opinion.

ad 2) To me it does not matter how many [mega]pixels the input for the digital negative has - it might be created with the G9 as Sandy has, it might be scanned from a 10x12" ULF film. Once the digital negative is prepared, it's only a source for the personal work, that is highly individual, relatively variable (at least from what I understand) and impossible to duplicate exactly. There is a lot of patience, knowledge, skill and work of the artist/photographer included then. And this is what producing alternative print means to me. That is also what Sandy has done. Again, if I were the moderator, I'd certainly not delete the scans of his prints. But I'm not.

This forum has served me immensely in learning what I can do with my LF camera now, what kind of images I can produce. Not only the verbal information in the different sections of the forum, but also with "sample"/"example" images of the work that can be achieved. Now as I view the images/prints in this thread it has again planted a bug in my mind. It would be a shame if it really was a rule here to exclude digital negatives of any origin.

(As a side note: using same logic, digital SLR cameras attached via adaptors to a LF camera should also be excluded - the capture format is small, no matter how you attach it)

My humble opinion.

Jiri