Page 14 of 403 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    I don't understand the controversy. Why someone visits this site is based on what he/she expects to find. If I shop at a bicycle store I don't expect to get advice on a motorized bike for racing at Tour de France. If I visit APUG, I expect to find discussions on traditional photographic methods; not on how only the end result matters. For the Alt Photo forum, I don't expect to find discussions on how Corel Painter can emulate all processes. If I visit B&S forum on Carbon printing, hope to not find discussions on carbon inkjet printing. So why should I visit this site and expect to find discussions on replacing my Large Format cameras with some other format? Even though Photo.net is a one size fits all photo site, they have categories; and one does not find discussions of sensor size in the neg development section.
    I hope the LF forum remains Large Format, its what I would expect to find here.
    We agree on the fact that we visit certain sites, and threads and categories at those sites, with certain expectations. From that perspective you should undestand the controversy and I would think agree with my position. This thread is called "Post Alternative Techniques" which to me suggests two concepts: 1) that it will be about alternative printing, not equipment, and 2)there will be discussions of modern methods of printmaking. With that in mind I joined the thread to look at the work of other alternative printmakers and to post some of my own images. I had no expectation at all of discussing equipment, and the first image I posted did not mention equipment. However, when I posted the IR images I thought it would be nice to mention how they had been made because there are very few sources of LF IR film around these days and I suspected that some might be interested in the technique.

The very last thing I expected was that someone would complain to the moderators that the image capture was with a digital point and shoot camera. Why would that be a problem to anyone? Is there someone out there with the misguided notion that it is easier to make carbon transfer prints if you start with a piece of film or with a digital MF back on a LF body than if you start with a smaller camera. If so, that person is plenty ignorant of what it takes to make high quality carbon transfer prints and all I can say is that I am glad that I don't think that way.

Anyway, I have said my peace on this. The moderators can address the issue or ignore it -- makes no difference to me at all at this time.

Sandy King

First off I would like to say that I am extremely glad I am not a moderator, especially as a volunteer. Secondly I have really enjoyed viewing the alternative process images.

I would have thought that making a internegative either in the darkroom or on a computer that is as large or larger than 4X5 would be large format but that is only the way I would have personally interpretated it and I have no qualms if anyone or everyone disagrees with that notion. Perhaps 'On Photography" and 'Location' forums should be moved to the Community section as some of the other threads on those two forums are also open to interpretation and anyone of us could send off a complaint or a moderator needs to make a decision that may not be needed to be made. Ansel Adams used MF for some of his photos can we not discuss those images but can his others. Or the rules relaxed somewhat on just those two forums. Just a thought to make it more flexible for us and easier for the moderators.

Hope to be able to contribute images to a similiar thread by next spring, Thanks for the inspiration (s)

Hi Sandy,
    I'm re-reading yours & Dick's books on Carbon printing, took the tissue from last year out of freezer, and will again venture into that process. So may be asking some more questions over at the B&S forum.

Thanks for your extended reply above. It does seem rather silly that we discuss/show something on one forum and can't on another. We're a rather small community even including APUG, here, AlternativePhotography, etc.; so its not like we are unaware of what others (at least the major players) are doing. But as to the Large Format forum, I'm not sure how one thread can be labeled open to all while other threads are LF only. These various forums do have a silo effect that hinders cross pollination of ideas. Maybe Google will come up with something other than just searches to tie/link these separate entities. Until then, seems like all we can do is post appropriate material to the various forums and hope for stimulating discussions.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

ok - What isan alternative technique?
    there has been a small discussion, whether a polaroid would such a thing...

what about this?

a portrait of Kala - Painted with light - exposed on polaroid 665 - printed with liquid emulsion on heavy paper, and finally handcoloured, only using coffee and cigarette ashes...

(I am most interested to hear, whether the liquid emulsion would be acceptable as an alternative technique)
    Last edited by Emil Schildt; 22-Jul-2009 at 14:09. Reason: forgot one thing

Hi Sandy,
    I'm re-reading yours & Dick's books on Carbon printing, took the tissue from last year out of freezer, and will again venture into that process. So may be asking some more questions over at the B&S forum.
    Doug,

Please feel free to email me directly if you have any questions. I also like the hybrid forum for questions about alternative printing since virtually anything goes there and most of the people who know something about carbon monitor the site. The B&S carbon forum is also a great place to ask questions about carbon.

I probably need to do like Denise and put up a good web site with my writings and some galleries and link to there from other sites whenever issues like this come up.

Sandy

Paul Cocklin

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    ok - What isan alternative technique?
    there has been a small discussion, whether a polaroid would such a thing...

what about this?

a portrait of Kala - Painted with light - exposed on polaroid 665 - printed with liquid emulsion on heavy paper, and finally handcoloured, only using coffee and cigarette ashes...

(I am most interested to hear, whether the liquid emulsion would be acceptable as an alternative technique)
    This is simply outstanding. Absolutely beautiful. Just, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrydesk View Post
    This is simply outstanding. Absolutely beautiful. Just, wow.
    thanks - When mixing coffee with cigarette ashes, the tones tend to go towards a nice greenish hue.. I like that.

(+ I can say I am smoking - not because I like it, but only because I need the ashes... )

Tea-toned Cyanotype. A cheap black tea for several minutes.
    wow! i love it. the trees are awesome.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Great work Gandolfi- 'just wow' is a nice way to put it.

Here's a platinum toned kallitype

Gandolfi - Photography has always involved some nasty and poisonous substances, but only this amazing photo of yours could actually make me regret that I've never smoked and am allergic to caffine!