Page 63 of 403 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: post alternative techniques

Tri, nice to see that you are making such great progress. I understand your interest in going bigger. I've done 11x14 and 8x20 and in the near future 14x17 carbon. When you go to the larger size you just need to get set up to do it. I'm sure you know this. Carbon printing is experience. I mean one needs to print all of the time to refine the process and be sure of the work flow. When it becomes intuitive the larger size won't be too much problem. I say go for it knowing that it may be harder to get good final prints right out of the gate. But... who knows? I can't wait to see the prints you have made using your own materials and work flow. It is nice to have another dedicated carbon printer in Southern California to connect with. Soon I hope there will be more. My weekend workshop student went home with 8 finished prints that he could frame. I was very happy as was he and these were from his less than optimal digital negatives. So like I say go for it and keep us up to date as to your progress.

Jim

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Unhappy Re: post alternative techniques

That's exciting when someone can bring home 8 prints of their work. Very productive day for a carbon printer. I'm looking forward to see them . How did the Supra Endura Paper turn out? Here are two more from my recently made. These are 15 gr BC Tissue, 140 ml pour on 12x15 support. The Black is quite deep but the relief is about 80% compare to your tissue no matter what I do . I NEED A VACATION ... !

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Tri, nice to see that you are making such great progress. I understand your interest in going bigger. I've done 11x14 and 8x20 and in the near future 14x17 carbon. When you go to the larger size you just need to get set up to do it. I'm sure you know this. Carbon printing is experience. I mean one needs to print all of the time to refine the process and be sure of the work flow. When it becomes intuitive the larger size won't be too much problem. I say go for it knowing that it may be harder to get good final prints right out of the gate. But... who knows? I can't wait to see the prints you have made using your own materials and work flow. It is nice to have another dedicated carbon printer in Southern California to connect with. Soon I hope there will be more. My weekend workshop student went home with 8 finished prints that he could frame. I was very happy as was he and these were from his less than optimal digital negatives. So like I say go for it and keep us up to date as to your progress.

Jim

Tri, it is always great to see some very fine carbon prints in the flesh! Keep up the outstanding work. You understand the process and you images prove this. Bravo, my friend!

Jim

Andrew Moxom

Here's my latest image... It's a whole plate collodion on aluminum shot with a kodak 2D and a Voigtlander Pre-Euryscop III RR lens. I used a home made waterhouse stop at F16. Exposure was 1 minute @ f16.

Here is a carbon transfer print from the trail of the 100 Giants in Sequoia. The light was very delicate at the time and it was difficult to get the print just right. The image has some nice relief and the tones are wonderful. Hard to show on the web, but what the heck. BTW I shot this on green x-ray film.

Jim

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Here is a carbon transfer print from the trail of the 100 Giants in Sequoia. The light was very delicate at the time and it was difficult to get the print just right. The image has some nice relief and the tones are wonderful. Hard to show on the web, but what the heck. BTW I shot this on green x-ray film.

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    I can see the perfect details and contrast as you finally fine tuned it. The relief must be nice when it dry I bet. I poured 4 sheets 11x14 last night with 13 gr BC/ Umber will let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting it.

Adam Costello

Here are a couple from around Minneapolis. Both taken with a brass barrel lens my Speed Graphic, TMAX 400, Vandyke Brown prints.

Weisman Art Museum

1st Avenue bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I can see the perfect details and contrast as you finally fine tuned it. The relief must be nice when it dry I bet. I poured 4 sheets 11x14 last night with 13 gr BC/ Umber will let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting it.
    Tri, yes it has some awesome relief but it is the depth of tone in the image that I personally love.

Here is the other one I was working on from the same area. Tough to show on the web because it looses so much but you know what it looks like. Got this one right also.

Jim

Looks good, Jim!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Looks good, Jim!

Vaughn
    Vaughn, can't wait to show it to you in person later this week.

Jim