Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 liter beakers

5 liter beakers

I want to mix some XTOL developer and need a 5 liter plastic beaker or graduate. Looked at the formulary and nasco, but both are out of stock on this item. Can anyone recommend alternatives?

Octogenarian

Re: 5 liter beakers

Pick up a large plastic pitcher designed to hold juice or lemon aid. Just make sure it can hold 5 liters, or more of liquid.

I was looking at a large Rubbermaid pitcher at Wal-Mart this morning.

This is what I use:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...riant_id=77096

They are solid and work very well. Heavy when full but they pour cleanly.

Home Depot and Lowes have all sorts of plastic paint mixing buckets. I use them for mixing all sorts of chems.

Thanks all for the tips and leads. That USP beaker is just what I was looking for.

Octogenarian

An autoclaveable polypropylene beaker for $33.49 + shipping?

Isn't that overkill?

A 5 liter juice container can be purchased for around $5-$8 and is just as well suited for the purpose.

Another vote for the affordable lemonade pitcher. You can dust determine where 5 liters is, and draw a line with an indelible pen.

Or you can use a smaller and even more affordable pitcher: filling and pouring it X times.

I bought a $3 plastic bucket, filled it with 5 liters, then scratched a fill line into the plastic. It has a built-in pour spout.

I checked out all of the local kitchen/restaurant supply stores, Walmart, Target, Lowes, etc. and could find no 5 liter pitchers or juice containers. A couple of 1 gal containers, but not quite enough capacity for mixing 5 liters of XTOL. If someone can give me an online link to a 5 liter lemonade pitcher that would be great. Closest thing I could find was Barry's suggestion for a paint mixing bucket, but the one I found looked like it might be sloppy for pouring. Maybe I'm not thinking right about how to mix XTOL. Kodak says to start by dissolving part A in 4 liters of water and then add and dissolve part B followed by an additional 1 liter of water. Sounds to me like one needs to start with at least a 5 liter beaker, pitcher, or wide mouth jug to do this properly.

Carl-- A one gallon container is fine for XTOL stock. I used to mix it up all the time in 4 liters to end up with a 1.25X stock solution. Let's say you need 500 ml of 1+1 working solution (0.5X). 1.25/0.5X= 2.5X dilution factor. That's 1 part stock plus 1.5 parts water. So 500ml/2.5= 200ml stock + 300ml water.