Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New print process for publication

New print process for publication

As announced today in the PMA Newsletter:

"Heidelberger announces new printing process
    Press manufacturer Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG, Heildelberg, Germany, announces the first exhibition of photographs printed with the High Definition Skia Photography (HDSP) process.The HDSP printing process delivers high quality photo prints on conventional offset paper, reproducing fine textures and details. The new technology, which works directly from the negative -- the skiagraphic image -- produces photographs without the need for a darkroom. According to Heidelberger, the necessary quality is achieved by ensuring the right interplay between press, software, and consumables -- ink in particular.
    Dieter Kirchner, inventor of HSDP, and Heidelberger Druckmaschinen are organizing an exhibition of around 50 photographs at the Print Media Academy in Heidelberg from July 20-24, 2009. It will include contributions from notable photographers, with all photos printed on Heidelberg presses.
    In HDSP, negatives, slides or raw data are recorded in two different digital data sets. An electronic darkroom program uses this data to calculate all gamma curves that are of relevance to the developing process for printing purposes. Based on a defined digital image, the photographer adjusts the paper gradation as he previously did in the darkroom. Prints are produced using special inks adapted to the developer substances. This also turns the press into a darkroom, the key difference being that the printing process is reproducible. This printing technology is based on a new standardization process for uniform, optimized color separation and the design of the new Heidelberg presses. As a result, it is possible to print even short runs with barely perceptible fluctuations in tone.
    Unlike conventional photo paper, which has a limited image gamut, HDSP exhibits an image gamut that lies at the limit of visual perception. All visible components captured by the camera are transferred to the print."

Richard M. Coda

Re: New print process for publication

Yeah, I'd like to see that!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Oh Oh... I'm going to have to get me one of those.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

That's certainly a way to go - bravo to the inventor!

Eric Woodbury

How much? I know, if you have to ask....
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Drew Wiley

Eric - HDSP also officially stands for "heart disease and stroke prevention", which is
    exactly what you're going to need if you actually do find out the price!

Is the Heidleberger Press something each photographer buys, or is this something that pro labs use?

Richard M. Coda

"for publication" seem to be the key words. This relates to books and posters, not real photographic prints.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Drew Wiley

As Richard suggested, this is obviously something for short-run high-end editions. In other words, an industrial investment in printing equipment (not photolabs per se) and probably also a restricted client list or waiting list. A nice addition to the cumulative visual voculary, no doubt, but I'll stick to amidol !

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    "for publication" seem to be the key words. This relates to books and posters, not real photographic prints.
    I am not so sure:
    "The new technology, which works directly from the negative -- the skiagraphic image -- produces photographs without the need for a darkroom. According to Heidelberger, the necessary quality is achieved by ensuring the right interplay between press, software, and consumables -- ink in particular.
    Dieter Kirchner, inventor of HSDP, and Heidelberger Druckmaschinen are organizing an exhibition of around 50 photographs at the Print Media Academy in Heidelberg from July 20-24, 2009. It will include contributions from notable photographers, with all photos printed on Heidelberg presses."

That sounds like individual prints can come off the press.

The question is "what is a press?" Is it something the size of an ink jet or laser printer or is it something only found in quick print or offset print shops, or larger?