Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's my turn...Harvey's 777

Re: It's my turn...Harvey's 777

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    You might try mixing something from The Frugal Photographer. The Germain formula "has interesting properties." Apparently there is nothing like Harvey's 777, but the stuff really isn't for occasional use. It is stable in big tanks, but not in a small Patterson tank, and certaintly unstable for Jobo processing.
    Yes. I used to use in my parents studio in tanks for 6x6 and 4x5. I does have a unique look. I will try the Germain formula and the Edwal 12 in the meantime to see how I like it. I am developing 6x7 negs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pellegrini View Post
    Blue Grass is still in business, but they told me today that they are not making 777 anymore. They might make it again in the future if there is demand. They told me to check back in a few months. I encourage everyone to call them at 502-425-6442 and put your two cents in. Maybe they will start it up again.
    Better yet, if there's insufficient demand to make packaging it profitable, maybe they'll publish the formula? I'm highly prejudiced against proprietary formulas.

Yes. That crossed my mind too. I would gladly pay a price for a copy of the formula.

I've used Harvey's almost exclusively since 2003. My current seasoned gallon is beginning to get quite long in the tooth (I've been using it for about 2 years now) and I'm thinking about mixing up a new one.

I have at least 4 one gallon packages but they're all at least 3 years old and I don't have any idea how long the powders last. The last time I corresponded with Fred DeVan he said that they should be ok but in case they're not I'll be looking to buy some more from Bluegrass. If anyone wants to get a custom order together I'm good for at least 2 four gallon cases.

Has anyone asked Bluegrass how much demand they would need to see to begin packaging it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Better yet, if there's insufficient demand to make packaging it profitable, maybe they'll publish the formula? I'm highly prejudiced against proprietary formulas.
    I doubt that they'd do it, Jay. As an aside, the closest thing I've seen to it in a published formula that I've tried is Crawley's FX-2. In fact, it's so close that I'm sure 777 must have glycin in it, though Bluegrass swears that it doesn't.

There's been a lot of speculation on photo boards that Germain's is also close to 777 but I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    ...Read Wayne's response (post #11) and you will realize why I mentioned it.
    Post #11 offers no insight as to why you mentioned it.

Later posts have indicated there's still a possibility the product will be made if demand is sufficient. Seems the thread is still relevant. Now an even richer place in the archive for Harvey's 777 information.

Octogenarian

Sal,

I mentioned it because Harvey's 777 developer was discontinued a while ago.

Wayne (venchka) verified that fact in post#11.

I was experiencing difficulty with Ilford DDX developer. Frequently getting blow out highlights. I began searching around for a developer that would match my personal method of exposing for the shadows and developing for the highlights.

The Unblinking Eye website published an article about Harvey's 777. When I inquired at Bluegrass, I was told that it was a proprietary formula that was mainly sold to commercial labs.

Shortly after that, Sandy King's Pyrocat-HD became available and I forgot about Harvey's 777.

Pyrocat-HD has been my developer of choice since that time.

Does anyone know if it's the same as what Photographer's Formulary offers? I was going to try this developer in the spring.

http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...777/Detail.bok

Thanks.

John,
    Thank you very much for brining this to me attention. I should have checked with them too. I just ordered it.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shanesy View Post
    I doubt that they'd do it, Jay. As an aside, the closest thing I've seen to it in a published formula that I've tried is Crawley's FX-2. In fact, it's so close that I'm sure 777 must have glycin in it, though Bluegrass swears that it doesn't.

There's been a lot of speculation on photo boards that Germain's is also close to 777 but I've never tried it.
    Hi Jim,

I doubt they'll do it, too. I have my own glycin-only developer (GSD-10) I'm happy with, and my own replenished superfine grain developer (Halcyon), too. I'm surprised you compare 777 to FX2; I thought 777 was a superfine grain developer like Edwal Super 20, etc., not an acutance developer. That's very interesting, because I've been surprised at the sharpness I get with Halcyon. Very interesting!