Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FP4 vs HP5- when to use one over the other?

FP4 vs HP5- when to use one over the other?

I've been mainly using FP4 since I started processing my own film a few years ago. I've always been happy with it, but am wanting to add HP5 to my repetoire. Other than its faster speed, what other situations would I want to use it over FP4? I've heard that HP5 is a low contrast film so doesn't really like low contrast N+ dev type situations and FP4 is contrasty so better for N+ and less suitable to N- situations. Have others observed this? It seems less convenient as it's the low contrast/darker lighting you'd want a faster speed film for. I also notice that the HP5 curve doesn't have a shoulder- does this mean that past a point of + processing, you'd just get blocking and no seperation compared to FP4? How would I use these 2 different curves to greatest benefit? Lastly, how does the grain compare? I would be contact printing and enlarging to 16x20 max from 4x5 and 5x7 negs. I also hope to eventually start doing diginegs for Ziatype. I guess I'm just wondering if I need to keep the FP4 around for any reason....

Thanks,
    Tim

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: FP4 vs HP5- when to use one over the other?

For LF I use FP4+ any time the shutter speeds are fast enough for what I'm shooting. When the light gets dim I start metering more and thinking of using HP5+ if I must.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

p.s. given the option I'd still be using Plus-X.

I've never particularly liked HP5 but then I've always disliked Tri-x. But that was based on 35mm use back in the 70's/80's.

I started with HP3

Since starting to use a Crown Graphic hand held I've found a need to use a faster film, so that I can use a speed of 100th or more as well as apertures like f16 or preferably f22.

So while in Turkey for hand-held work it's HP5 I'm not used to the look of the negatives yet, I can read more in a negative tahn looking at a contact sheet, but the prints are superb. I should add that light levels are usually near the maximum a Luna Pro will read

I tried it in the UK using a tripod and didn't like it, it's too fast, I prefer a 50 EI film like Tmax or Delta 100 and long shutter speeds at f22/32 or even f45 depending on the lens.

For tripod work I find Delta 100 is far better alround, but in reality HP5 is an excellent film and has plenty of flexibility.

FP4 is equally as good, ultimately it's knowing your films, I used Delta 100 & 400 for a long time, I've only changed because Kodak films are harder to find (for me).

Ian

Ian G .. I'm curious to know how Delta 400 compares to Tri x or Tmax 400 ? Any thoughts ? Delta seems easier to find.. and a bit cheaper too I think ?
    Thanks
    Eamonn / Ireland

Octogenarian

I don't understand why you would want to replace FP-4+ with HP-5+.

You are used to working with FP-4+ and are perfectly happy with it. Don't replace it. Make use of both types of film.

I use HP-5 for 4X5, 5X7 and 8X10 negatives and FP-4+ for 120 roll film negatives. I usually to enlarge to 11X14 or 16X20.

Both are conventional grained films. You are correct in assuming that developing HP-5+ to N+ will tend to blow out the highlights. However, when developed in Pyrocat-HC. I have found that a 4X5 HP-5+ negative easily holds detail in the highlights and can be enlarged to 16X20 without exhibiting unacceptable grain.

Fp-4+ is a slower film and finer grained. A 16X20 enlargement from a 6X7 FP-4+ negative not a problem as far as grain is concerned.

I used FP4 for a few years and it is still one of my favourites.

I then began to use TMY when I needed more speed, and now it is the only film I use.

FP4 has better exposure latitude, but TMY I prefer for the extra speed. The grain is similar between the two films, at least in XTOL 1:1.

I prefer TMY to Tri-X and HP5.

If you don't need the speed stick with FP4.

Eric Woodbury

I'm the opposite of Ron. If you don't need the grain, stick with HP5. In general, I see the choice of film speed as blur vs grain. I'd like to know more about FP4, but I've always found that when I carry two films, I never have enough of the right one for the moment.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn Doyle View Post
    Ian G .. I'm curious to know how Delta 400 compares to Tri x or Tmax 400 ? Any thoughts ? Delta seems easier to find.. and a bit cheaper too I think ?
    Thanks
    Eamonn / Ireland
    Delta 400 is close to Tmax 400 in it's qualities, unfortunately it's not available in LF, it was discontinued some time ago, I shoot it occasionally 6x6 & mainly 6x17.

Ilford films are significantly cheaper in the UK compared to Kodak, one reason I switched back, but the main one was Tmax was almost impossible to find when I was in South America, and it's the same here in Turkey. On my last trip back to the UK only Ilford and a little Fuji was stocked by my local store.

I will always use the slowest possible speed film.

Ian

i use faster lenses and like to shoot them wide open or close to it. FP4 is my film of choice as a result.....i find it frustrating that in 11x14 it is easier to get HP5......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery