Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson V500 - LF Scanning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Epson V500 - LF Scanning

I have known of people scanning 4x5 film on the V500 by making two passes at it. However, to do this, you cannot use an of the holders that come with the scanner, and I cannot seem to cause the scanner to disregard the fact that no holders are present (I am using the EpsonScan software). It attempts to force me to scan it as a "reflective" material rather than film, which I, of course, don't want.

Does anyone know how I can do this? Is there a present function that I can turn off? There must be a way since others have done it, but currently, my printer is outwitting me. Thanks. JR

Re: Epson V500 - LF Scanning

Nope, did the scanner come with SilverFast SE? I'd try using that if it did.

With the V750, the choice is under Document Type. See the attached jpeg. Other than Film with Holder, the only transparency setting is Film Area Guide. But, that is not what gives you two passes to put a 4x5 together. You do it by setting the marquis (area to be scanned) to slightly more than half the image, scan, and then move the marquis to the other half of the image, scan part B. Then you combine them in Photoshop.

The marquis, or "marching ants" that indicate the area to be scanned, appears when you initiate a "preview". You can drag the sides of the marching ants frame to increase or decrease its size, alter its aspect ration etc.
    Last edited by Keith S. Walklet; 12-Jul-2009 at 17:02. Reason: Added last two sentences.

The EpsonScan software with the V500 does not give the option shown on your screenshot. Whenever I try to scan with the film setting and without a holder actually on the glass, it gives me an error message.

I will try Silverfast. I downloaded VueScan, but it keeps freezing up. JR

FYI, you need to make sure that the first inch or so of the scanner platen closet to the lid hinge is clear. The scanner uses that area to self-calibrate. If anything is blocking the area, you'll get an error message.

Keith, that last post seems to have done the trick. Thanks. JR

Terrific!

I find that most problems I encounter are operator error and there are enough people using these scanners you can quickly get to the bottom of any issue you encounter.

Sorry to jump in late here, but can anyone tell me the approximate area available on the V500 for transmission scanning? I've searched all the product material and can't find the dimensions stated anywhere.

Hi, I just acquired a V-500 scanner, very pleased so far. Jeremy, I would be very interested in hearing more about your exact procedure and settings for scanning 4x5. Thanks Alan

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Bump.

Is it possible? I have a makeshift wet-mount setup ... basically opaque card stock with a window in the middle for the 4x5 float glass, and would love it if this were possible.