Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Re: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    Hi Robert.
    I use a Tachihara 8x10 and only shoot B & W because colour film is stupidly expensive here in Oz and processing in Melbourne is $20 per sheet. Bond Imaging where I used to get my 4x5's done used to cost about $6.50 per 4x5 sheet of colour tranny. You can go online and get prices from Bond Imaging. Their service is excellent and if you want you can send your film through the mail. I've done it by putting the film in the film box and taping it up. They will require a credit card number, etc. If you ring them before you do anything, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.
    And no, I've never had a problem with Australia Post.
    Good luck
    Mike
    I used to use Bond imaging when I first started 5x4 Neg. I became disenchanted and started developing my own after a while. (Always dust and fibres, occasional uneven development).

Hi Mike

Thanks for that info.

Yes, stupidly expensive to buy and to process. I develop my own black and white and as mentioned use Vision Graphics for colour. I will definitely check out Bond Imaging.
    What else is there to do? Buy cheap film from online sources and then send OS for processing? I am investigating that now. Don't know how film will fare through x-ray screening though.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    Hi Robert.
    I use a Tachihara 8x10 and only shoot B & W because colour film is stupidly expensive here in Oz and processing in Melbourne is $20 per sheet. Bond Imaging where I used to get my 4x5's done used to cost about $6.50 per 4x5 sheet of colour tranny. You can go online and get prices from Bond Imaging. Their service is excellent and if you want you can send your film through the mail. I've done it by putting the film in the film box and taping it up. They will require a credit card number, etc. If you ring them before you do anything, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.
    And no, I've never had a problem with Australia Post.
    Good luck
    Mike

I use Lab X in Melbourne (Google them), they seem to do a good job for $5.50/sheet for 4x5, and are a smaller more service oriented lab than Bond I think. They can do 5x7 and 8x10 as well if you get into that. I just put it in an Express Post bag with one for the return, you can use registered mail if you want to be extra sure.

PS they are about $11 for 8x10.

You can buy film online, B & H Photo or Adorama in NYC are both way cheaper than Oz and you generally have it quicker, normally the next week. Badger Graphics is also a good source. Would like to support the local market but not when it is twice as expensive. Shipping is economical if you get enough at a time. I have never had a problem with x rays except in Alice Springs airport. Some say the processing is not as even in Oz as some overseas labs, I have had the "fine art" grade C41 processing at Lightwaves in SF recommended but haven't tried them.

Hi David

Thanks for all your great information. It is really appreciated.

I am currently waiting on a shipment of film (50 sheets Fuji) from an eBay store. Seemed reputable enough, but time will tell. I also bought 20 lots of C-41 4" x 5" Processing for $1.99 US each plus $14.95 flat rate post pack from Lattin color lab. Wonder if anyone has experience with them?

Yes I have checked out Adorama and B&H. Will have a look at Badger.

I am all for saving money. (been spending too much lately)

Cheers and thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephenson View Post
    You can buy film online, B & H Photo or Adorama in NYC are both way cheaper than Oz and you generally have it quicker, normally the next week. Badger Graphics is also a good source. Would like to support the local market but not when it is twice as expensive. Shipping is economical if you get enough at a time. I have never had a problem with x rays except in Alice Springs airport. Some say the processing is not as even in Oz as some overseas labs, I have had the "fine art" grade C41 processing at Lightwaves in SF recommended but haven't tried them.

Hi OldBikerPete

Thanks for your comments.

I haven't used them as yet, but hopefully they have come good again.
    Are you still processing your own colour film? Negs or transparency?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by OldBikerPete View Post
    I used to use Bond imaging when I first started 5x4 Neg. I became disenchanted and started developing my own after a while. (Always dust and fibres, occasional uneven development).

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephenson View Post
    Interesting. I've flown in and out of the Alice Springs airport and never ran into any problems with x-rays there.

Yes, film prices are horrible in Oz. I generally bring as much as possible with me. Unfortunately, that has the side effect of limiting me to flying on Hawaiian Airlines. Both Qantas and Air Pacific only allow 7kg carry-on (Hawaiian 14kg). Hawaiian is normally cheaper anyway, but the arrival times aren't as good.

Hi roteague

If you have the time we could meet up, depending on your schedule of course. Are you planning a shoot while you are in Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Greetings Robert from Hawaii,

I don't come here often, but thought I would say hello and welcome anyway. Always great to see someone in Sydney using 5x4. Current plans, are that I will be in Sydney sometime around the end of September, then down to Victoria (Bright) for about 8 days. Sydney is one of my favorite cities.

I do mostly color landscapes, but I only shoot film (4x5, 120 and 35mm).

You will find Robert [roteague] excellent company so I hope you have the opportunity to catch up with him. Robert almost qualifies for temporary residence status as he visits Australia so regularly.

That is the wonderful thing about this and other photographic forum -- you can establish excellent contacts.

I get my film from Freestyle and have had zero problems. Arista Edu Ultra 200.

Steve