Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Re: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stow View Post
    Hi Steve

Thanks for the info on Freestyle. Great store!!! There goes my bank balance...
    Never heard of Arista before. What made you go for it?
    Arista is a great price, has very good tonality and works well in PMK, Xtol or D76

I could not afford to shoot the amount of film I enjoy if I had to shoot more expensive film. I also shoot Efke/Adox 100.

Some complain about quality but I have not as yet had any problems with the Arista or the Efke for that matter other than a wrongly labelled batch of Efke 100 that was actually about 50. Still that was nearly 3 years ago and the problem was resolved by the supplier. Zero problems since.

Steve

Hello from another Syndeysider (North Shores). Loving the clear blue skies this week

I've pretty much nailed my film importing from the US and the UK (Fujilab short-dated stock with great discounts), but I wonder where you people get your chemicals from for B+W?

I bought some dev and fix from Photo Continental last time I was up in Brisbane, but do you think I'd have any problems in shipping from the likes of B+H, Adorama et al? Just your normal not too exotic developers and fixers - they won't class as hazmat will they?? Photo Continental didn't have a particularly wide selection, and I was limited to Ifosol 3 for dev.

Thanks in advance, and keep us posted if a meet up is being planned, I'd love to tag along

Hi Carey

Yes, great forum!!!

I know FotoRiesel well. Have mostly used Vision Graphics for film processing as they are closer to me, but am keen to try other cheaper labs.
    I'm in Hornsby. Where are you located?

Went for a bit of a scout over the weekend, down through the old windy pac that leads on to Gosford, stopping for a bit of a jaunt at Mooney Mooney creek.

Discovered 2 ticks in my neck on Monday for the effort.

(Had a holiday in NZ when I was a kid and it still remains fresh in my mind to this day. Takes something special and beautiful to have that effect.)

Freestyle seems to be gathering votes!!

Nice pics and info packed site!!

Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post
    Robert Stow:

Welcome from another Sydney LF-er. Glad you sorted out your lensboard query. These things can be a bit confusing initially but as you have discovered this forum is an excellent resource.

As for film purchasing, I have had excellent service from Freestyle in the US and highly recommend them. I particularly like being able to play with shipping costs prior to placing the order.

As for film processing I usually shoot B&W so do all my own. If I shoot colour then its E6 and I get it processed via Photo Reisel in Kent St who are 2mins walk from my office (I've only shot 120 thus far but do have some 4x5 Velvia to play with)

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

This photography thing is just a hobby and I'm still on a steep learning curve but some of my pix can be found at the link below.

Robert Teague:

Followed a link from your post to your site - and thoroughly enjoyed your work :-). Made me all misty-eyed looking at your images of Central Otago (I was born in Dunedin).

If either of you are interested in meeting up when in Sydney then drop me a note. Perhaps we could put the Melbourne LF community in the shade and organise a Sydney LF gathering or trip to the Blue Mountains etc ??

Cheers

Hi 612Tom

Yes the skies are glorious of late. I drove in to Mascot this morning (Tuesday morning) and saw the sun come up as I was going over Anzac Bridge. Would have loved to have stopped right in the middle of the road and set up and take a shot. Haven't seen it look that good before. Morning glow strafing off the wires and concrete beneath a cloudless dome. Simply magic. (I'm willing to admit it probably looks that good all the time, but I never get to see it... )

Will add more later re: below.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 612tom View Post
    Hello from another Syndeysider (North Shores). Loving the clear blue skies this week

I've pretty much nailed my film importing from the US and the UK (Fujilab short-dated stock with great discounts), but I wonder where you people get your chemicals from for B+W?

I bought some dev and fix from Photo Continental last time I was up in Brisbane, but do you think I'd have any problems in shipping from the likes of B+H, Adorama et al? Just your normal not too exotic developers and fixers - they won't class as hazmat will they?? Photo Continental didn't have a particularly wide selection, and I was limited to Ifosol 3 for dev.

Thanks in advance, and keep us posted if a meet up is being planned, I'd love to tag along

Try Les Porter in Newcastle for B&W chemistry. The cost of shipping liquid from OS, which they probably won't ship anyway, would be astronomical. A friend here in Adelaide gets Rollo Pyro from the states but the shipping is nearly the same cost as the chemistry and that is not a large volume product.

Thanks for that.

For black and white I've been using Delta 100 from local suppliers, which has been giving me good results, but is expensive. Australia is such a void in terms of variety. Seems suppliers want everyone to shoot digital. More money in it for them I guess.
    Had a browse through Freestyle and can't believe the range of film that is available.
    Glad to give your recommendations a go.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    Arista is a great price, has very good tonality and works well in PMK, Xtol or D76

I could not afford to shoot the amount of film I enjoy if I had to shoot more expensive film. I also shoot Efke/Adox 100.

Some complain about quality but I have not as yet had any problems with the Arista or the Efke for that matter other than a wrongly labelled batch of Efke 100 that was actually about 50. Still that was nearly 3 years ago and the problem was resolved by the supplier. Zero problems since.

Steve

ID-11 from Fotoriesel in Kent Street and Vanbar in Sydney (Can't remember the suburb).
    Comes in a 1 Litre and 5 Litre powder pack in a box. Both have a range of chemicals too.
    Vanbar's website is pretty good. http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php

I will be making my own soon from some samples I sourced from a chemical company out west. They were gracious enough to give me a couple of 500 gram samples. I didn't tell them that the concentrations are only a few grams per litre of developer

Cheers

Hi everyone - I've always thought it a great idea if all us LF Sydneysiders got together.

If the impetus is when Robert Teague is out here then all the better - and for that matter anyone else from Australia. I live in Sydney and the Blue Mountains (Mt Victoria). I used to live on the Northern Beaches, and would like to suggest, Bangalley Headland, Clareville Beach, but in the end I'm happy with anywhere.

I have a small house in Mt Victoria and am happy to offer that, but it is 2 hours drive from Sydney, which may make it inconvenient. If we can all come to a consensus for us all to meet when Robert is here then lets go for it, and get as many film people involved as possible.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Hi Anthony

Sounds good to me.

If Robert T is the catalyst that brings Sydney LF users together then so be it.

I'm happy with any location / times etc.

Let's make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lewis View Post
    Hi everyone - I've always thought it a great idea if all us LF Sydneysiders got together.

If the impetus is when Robert Teague is out here then all the better - and for that matter anyone else from Australia. I live in Sydney and the Blue Mountains (Mt Victoria). I used to live on the Northern Beaches, and would like to suggest, Bangalley Headland, Clareville Beach, but in the end I'm happy with anywhere.

I have a small house in Mt Victoria and am happy to offer that, but it is 2 hours drive from Sydney, which may make it inconvenient. If we can all come to a consensus for us all to meet when Robert is here then lets go for it, and get as many film people involved as possible.

Robert Stow you initiated the meeting with Robert T so I hope I am not pushing into your organising, but I wouldn't mind meeting up with him in September as well if that is OK?

Anyway I think this is also a good impetus for all us Sydney LF's to meet - perhaps regularly. I reckon for the first meeting we should just make in a central/easy location. Just to get the ball rolling I would suggest Balls Head at Waverton, on a Saturday afternoon, perhaps August 22. I suggest we all bring some gear and talk about it over a few beers!

If this suits the majority then lets go for it, however if it is not OK by someone, then certainly suggest the alternative here - in the end I can fit in with anywhere.

I think that if anyone else is just a real film fan then they can turn up as well. When we have reached a consensus then I will put a post on APUG as well. Please all let me know what you think?
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au