Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Hello from Sydney, Australia

Just want to say hi and of course plunge head long in with a question.
    I have a Cambo 4" x 5" and have just purchased a Schneider Apo Symmar 210mm f5.6 lens to go with my Caltar 150mm. I also purchased a #1 Cambo lens board to suit the Schneider. Problem is that there is a very small screw sticking out from the back of the shutter that prevents the lens from attaching flush to the board. Winding up the mounting ring pushes the lens board up against the top of the screw such that there is a small amount of tilt / play. Can anyone please tell me the purpose of this screw and if it can be removed so that I can mount the lens flush to the board? I thought that it may have just worked loose and tightened it but it still sits proud of the surface 1 - 2mm. I did a search and found reference in one post of such a thing as an index screw. Is that what this is? The person who wrote that post said to remove it. Any comments?
    The lens board is flush on both sides around the mounting hole. Should there be a recess for the screw head to fit into?

I am a fine art photographer and artist using both film and digital. I also shoot weddings, portraits and commercial work.

Cheers

Re: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Hi Robert, I'm pretty much a newcomer here myself, but I'll say - welcome!

I think the screw on the back of the shutter is supposed to act as a locating pin, and prevents the shutter from rotating in the board as the mounting ring is tightened. So you need to introduce a small hole at just the right position on the lens board, to allow the screw to rest in the hole.

I've got one shutter/lens board that works that way - but happy to be corrected here as I don't know your gear at all. Cheers!

Yes, I suspected that, but not having a drill or drill bits (at home) I was hoping for a quicker and easier solution so I can start using the lens this weekend. Oh well, sometimes that is just the way it has to be.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    Hi Robert, I'm pretty much a newcomer here myself, but I'll say - welcome!

I think the screw on the back of the shutter is supposed to act as a locating pin, and prevents the shutter from rotating in the board as the mounting ring is tightened. So you need to introduce a small hole at just the right position on the lens board, to allow the screw to rest in the hole.

I've got one shutter/lens board that works that way - but happy to be corrected here as I don't know your gear at all. Cheers!

Welcome to group therepy, Robert! Just unscrew the pin and mount the lens...won't hurt anything. Keep the pin (really usually a little screw) in case you have trouble with the shutter turning when you set the f-stop or shutter speed...thats the only reason its there.

By the way, when you set up your camera "Down Under" does the image on the glass show right side up??? Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

Hi Vick

Thanks for that.
    Hmmm... I will make the decision tomorrow, to drill or not to drill. I might drill as I will undoubtedly lose the screw if I remove it, plus it is going to be a dedicated lens board and will never be apart from the lens.
    Also, Murphy's law dictates that if there is a chance for the shutter to turn it will definitely happen, and at the most inopportune of times, so that probably seals it.

Hey, I wish it looked right way up!!!

Cheers and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy, Robert! Just unscrew the pin and mount the lens...won't hurt anything. Keep the pin (really usually a little screw) in case you have trouble with the shutter turning when you set the f-stop or shutter speed...thats the only reason its there.

By the way, when you set up your camera "Down Under" does the image on the glass show right side up??? Sorry...couldn't resist!!!

Done!! Drilled, filled and drilled again. (Phone pic)

Lens looks fabulous. Can't wait to use it.

View from my window Tuesday 14th July 2:40pm (Phone pic)

Winter sun is shining and I'm about to put a coat of paint on the studio cyclorama
    Never thought much about being able to carry this camera out into the field as I primarily shoot in the studio. But will definitely do that when I can sort out a way of packing it into a manageable size.
    Been looking for a suitable bag. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum Robert. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. If you're coming down to Melbourne, let me know, and we could meet up, along with a few other LF users here.
    Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the invite. Can't say I get down there very often. The last time was in '92 or '93 except for a brief stop over on the way back from overseas.
    I almost came down to pick up a 4" x 5" enlarger that was advertised in the Photographic Trader magazine. The guy was practically giving it away for $80 pick up. I ended up getting another one from Melbourne shipped up to Sydney for around $300 all up.

What format do you use?
    I have been searching for cheaper processing of 4" x 5" colour negs and trans. I use Vision Graphics at St. Leonards. They charge $8 per sheet.
    One place gave me the unbelievable quote of $15 per sheet! How do Victorian prices compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    Welcome to the forum Robert. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. If you're coming down to Melbourne, let me know, and we could meet up, along with a few other LF users here.
    Mike

Greetings Robert from Hawaii,

I don't come here often, but thought I would say hello and welcome anyway. Always great to see someone in Sydney using 5x4. Current plans, are that I will be in Sydney sometime around the end of September, then down to Victoria (Bright) for about 8 days. Sydney is one of my favorite cities.

I do mostly color landscapes, but I only shoot film (4x5, 120 and 35mm).

Hi Robert.
    I use a Tachihara 8x10 and only shoot B & W because colour film is stupidly expensive here in Oz and processing in Melbourne is $20 per sheet. Bond Imaging where I used to get my 4x5's done used to cost about $6.50 per 4x5 sheet of colour tranny. You can go online and get prices from Bond Imaging. Their service is excellent and if you want you can send your film through the mail. I've done it by putting the film in the film box and taping it up. They will require a credit card number, etc. If you ring them before you do anything, they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.
    And no, I've never had a problem with Australia Post.
    Good luck
    Mike