Thread: DII Enlargements

David Gainer

DII Enlargements

I'm setting up a darkroom and want to be able to do 4x5 to 20x24. Is this possible on the baseboard or will I need to come up with an alternative (either drop table or onto the floor). The column measures 43''.

Octogenarian

Re: DII Enlargements

Not possible on the base board.

The enlarger column can be swiveled 180 degrees on the base mount, allowing the enlarger head to project onto the floor.

Place your easel on the floor with the enlarger above on a table or counter top.

It's probably going to be a long exposure, but it can be done.

David Gainer

Do you happen to know the max size on the baseboard with the 43'' column? I know the D2vXL has a 55'' column, so I may just create a 12'' riser on my enlarging table.

Octogenarian

Using a 135mm enlarging lens, you might be able to make a 16X20 enlargement on the baseboard. However, you will need a long reach or a focusing extension in order to use a grain focuser.

From my experience, 11X14 enlargements are just about maximum size that can be made with the 43" column and a 150mm enlarging lens.

You can make 16X20 enlargements (maybe a tad larger) on the baseboard with the XL chassis and 135 lens.

Anything larger is not going to happen. Projecting on the floor is probably an example of creating an alignment problem where none existed before. (completely unconnected and disparate planes).

Dave,

You can also get the wall mount for the enlarger and attach the whole rig to the wall above your cabinet and use the counter top as your base board. You will get at least another six inches of heigth and can do more by mounting it higher on the wall. Adding a turnbuckle and attaching the top of the column to the wall with a large eye-screw will make a rock solid system.

If you want extreme projection capabilities, you could turn the counter into a drop table and have stages for the printing surface at intervals all the way to the floor.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Use a high quality commercially made focusing negative to make sure everything is in alignment when you get it all set up. You may need someone else to adjust the focus for you while you are down on your hands and knees checking the grain.

There is a solution, but not an inexpensive one. I use a 120mm WA Rodagon and can project a 4x5 negative to 21" x 27" onto the easel sitting on the baseboard of my DII.

As long as the lens and negative are in alignment, floor projection will have considerable leeway for alignment error (inches at least).

David Gainer

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll try to post what I actually do when the project is complete.