Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American flags everywhere - end of architectural photography as we know it?

American flags everywhere - end of architectural photography as we know it?

Hans, I usually place them on the back porch. Cheers.

Hi Sandy. I think I understand. I bought a car for my college bound daughter on Ebay and flew to Minneapolis 1900 miles from my burg in Central Nevada to pick it up. Beginning in southern MN I found myself taking offramps from Interstate 90 on purpose so that I could just enjoy looking at the Main Streets. (A really bad idea when you've got to go 1900 miles in 3 days) What a quality and individuality we've lost in America. Those main street store fronts and buildings both large and small were done either on a Mom and Pop's idea or the bigger better ones were done by regional architects that hadn't too much idea what was selling well 800 miles away. Ultimately the main street degenerates into old residences turned vacuum cleaner repair place, and finally the "new" area that has the Mcdonalds and the 4 square of gasoline stations. All the same, all embarrassingly shallow in the "look" that is America 2001. (Flags wrapped around the grille of a pickup truck with gunracks) As far as the flags, I don't really have 2? to offer other than if your photo's will be dated as to when taken it'll be a poignant reminder that on September 11 2001 our nation did turn another corner on it's journey

Sandy: I have been thinking about your question for two days and finaly decided to add my two cents worth. In my humble opinion, I would suggest waiting to finish the project. I am one of the older folks on this forum, a former serviceman, and I was eight years old when WWII ended, so I have an inborn love of our country. That said, I believe this is not the time to finish your project. As much as I love our country and our flag, that is not the scope of your project. It would be like taking pictures of all the towns during Christmas and having a book with Christmas lights in every picture. I would certainly include flags in a picture or two, but not every picture. Not wanting flags in every picture does not make you any less patriotic than not wanting churches or Christmas decorations in every shot makes you a non-believer. This time of intense patriotism and flag waving is wonderful at this time of national crisis, but like most other things, it, too, shall pass.

I wish you great success with your project.

Regards,

Hi Sandy -

Interesting question. Here's my $0.02.

I like to photograph buildings, too. There's lots of old ones here in Charleston, some protected as historical sites, most not. At various times, a particular property might have been a drug store, a grocery, apartments, or just sat empty. Most have changed considerably since they were built.

My point is that buildings and Main Street don?t exist in a vacuum. They reflect what the people who live and work in them are thinking and feeling. It just so happens that in late 2001, we're hanging flags on them.

It may not be what you had in mind, but I'd say shoot the pictures anyway.

Peace and good light.

Thanks to all the people who wrote thoughtful answers. It's very interesting to think about all this. Just one quick comment to add, I think there's a place for photography of buildings alone. I feel a great deal of individual character and history coming from the building itself -- its shape, its details, the materials it was made from, and its place in the landscape. For 20 years I've photographed houses without any people, cars, or decorations in the pictures. That doesn't mean they're inauthentic, it just means the pictures are about the houses.

You all should check out this wonderful site to see some lovely pictures of flags, memorials, and mourners around the world: http://thankyou.fast-networks.net/

PLEASE TAKE THE PICTURES AND QUIT YOUR COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

REALISTICALLY THOSE SAME BUILDING WILL BE THERE NEXT MONTH AND NEXT YEAR AND YOUR ARE SHOOTING THEM BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN THERE FOR DECADES, SO HAVE FAITH THE WILL BE THERE DURING THE NEXT DECADE.

BUT GET THE PICTURES WITH THE FLAGS OUT AND RECORD THE SPIRIT OF THE PEOPLE.

AS a fine art photog and a large format photog thsi is a precious moment when a slow moving large format can record the spirt of a nation.

Tell ya what , if you find a wonderful subject matter of a building and you want to photograph it but the flag interfers with your previsualization of the inal print, THEN TRY THIS... ( I feel so like larry king when I do that)

ASK THE BUILDING OWNER TO TAKE THE FLAG DOWN,

AND , OH YES , PLEASE BE READY FOR THE RESPONSE!!!!

Sandy,

The flag displays to me reflect a unique moment in U.S. history (though a terribly sad one) which we have the privilege to witness.

I an trying to catalog the flag displays before they are ruined or vandalized, taken down, and forgotten. This includes the ones that have sprouted after the inital shock, many of which are commercial or which trivialize the events of 9/11 (e.g., car dealers giving out T-shirts and similar profiteering.)

I am simply trying to record to the best of my ability (severely limited by lack of time and talent) on the theory that the meaning of these images and these events will evolve. In 30 years photographs of this time will still matter, even the lousy ones that might have been ignored if they captured more ordimary times.

Oh, good Charles, I'm glad somebody is finally doing it himself instead of insisting that I do it. I hope these displays are recorded all over the country; you are right, it is a special time in spite of the horror and sadness that precipitated the response.

Best of luck with your project.

Cheers, Sandy