Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High contrast paper developer

Octogenarian

Re: High contrast paper developer

Viad,

Compare the formulas for ID-14 and ID-20.

The only difference is the additional 1.5 gms of Metol in the ID-20.

Both developers contain 12 gms of hydroquinone. That's what makes them high contrast developers.

My idea of a high contrast developer is one that produces very dark rich blacks, used on a paper that has a bright white base. Amidol would be my choice for a high contrast developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Ilford ID-20:

Metol 3g
    Sodium sulphite (anhydrous) 50g
    Hydroquinone 12g
    Sodium carbonate (monohydrated) 62g
    Potassium bromide 2g
    Water to make 1 liter

Gives neutral tones. Dilutions: 1+4 for low contrast, 1+3 for normal contrast, 1+2 for high contrast, 1+1 for very high contrast.
    I believe you could increase the contrast even further by using it undiluted, though I haven't tried this myself.
    This is my current print developer. I dilute it 1+3.
    It is the ratio between the Metol and Hydroquinone that determines contrast. A 1:7 or better ratio is typical of high contrast developers, as noted in the ID-14 formula which is 1:8.
    Last edited by Merg Ross; 13-Jul-2009 at 11:31. Reason: Ratio clarification

Ian, I have so far seen two different formulae for ID-20. The first is the one you mentioned (which, incidentally, is exactly like it was given to us by our teacher years ago). The second is the one I listed above.
    I have no way of knowing which one is really the "correct" one, as I have no access to any official Ilford publication. I'd really like to know which one is the original, so if you happen to have strong evidence in favour of your version, I'd appreciate if you could confirm it, just for the sake of my curiosity.

For the time being, not having any strong evidence in favour of one or the other, I'm more inclined to use mine, for a subjective reason. 62g of sodium carbonate monohydrate is half a mol. I don't think it's a coincidence. It seems to me that the amount of 62g was first chosen because it represented half a mol, and later on it was probably rounded off to 60g just for the sake of simplicity (those two grams missing having probably no practical effect at all).
    This tiny detail (which I agree is not evidence per se) makes me regard my version as more "genuine".

There's a big difference in the amount of potassium bromide, however. I don't know how to explain that. Could it have anything to do with the hydration state, which none of the formulae mentions? Maybe, though I'm not sure whether it would make such a big difference. I don't know. I'd appreciate any information on this matter.

The version I've given is the only one published by Ilford in numerous of their own publications, (I have at least 6).

The other may originally be from The Photo Lab Index, other books copied their formulae which were riddled with errors. They constantly mis-assume the wrong type of Carbonate, Monohydrated, anhydrous or Crystalline, or made conversion errors. Most US sources of Formulae are less reliable and one of the worst is Suzuki's website. The 3rd Edition of The Darkroom Cookbook is excellent and the only book I'd recommend.

The PQ version of ID-20 is the basis of some commercial Ilford developers, although usually Sodium Carbonate is replaced by Potassium Carbonate & Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide to allow more concentrated solutions.

Find a copy of the Ilford Manual of Photography, best are 1960's editions as they have the PQ developers as well, you'll find ID-62 there, or LFA Mason, Photographic Processing Chemistry, (Mason was head of Research at Ilford)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The version I've given is the only one published by Ilford in numerous of their own publications, (I have at least 6).

The other may originally be from The Photo Lab Index, other books copied their formulae which were riddled with errors. They constantly mis-assume the wrong type of Carbonate, Monohydrated, anhydrous or Crystalline, or made conversion errors. Most US sources of Formulae are less reliable and one of the worst is Suzuki's website. The 3rd Edition of The Darkroom Cookbook is excellent and the only book I'd recommend.

The PQ version of ID-20 is the basis of some commercial Ilford developers, although usually Sodium Carbonate is replaced by Potassium Carbonate & Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide to allow more concentrated solutions.

Find a copy of the Ilford Manual of Photography, best are 1960's editions as they have the PQ developers as well, you'll find ID-62 there, or LFA Mason, Photographic Processing Chemistry, (Mason was head of Research at Ilford)

Ian

Hi ! I have found the Book of Ilford Formulas !!
    This is the link: http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...3rdEdition.pdf

You can search the original formula of ID-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele1971 View Post
    Hi ! I have found the Book of Ilford Formulas !!
    This is the link: http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...3rdEdition.pdf

You can search the original formula of ID-20.
    This is brilliant!!! Thank you!

Drew Wiley

Concentrated versions of all kinds of options will yield higher contrast IF the paper itself is capable of it. So will longer development times. No rocket science here.