Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: May/June View Camera

Re: May/June View Camera

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    Might you be describing the March/April issue?
    My March/April issue contains the Chamonix whole plate review with the poor quality photos. I have yet to see the May/June issue.

B Dalton

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Dalton View Post
    I have to agree that this is the only game in town and I find it plenty good enough compared to nothing. The Fred Picker Zone VI Newsletter was nothing slick and spiffy, yet it contained a lot of good information.

B Dalton
    I agree. View Camera magazine appears to be more or less a one-person operation, and Simmons has been churning out six issues a year for more than a decade. Yes, the overall quality is lacking, and the typos make me cringe, but he's got his hands full and he is at the front lines promoting LF.

I agree. View Camera magazine appears to be more or less a one-person operation, and Simmons has been churning out six issues a year for more than a decade. Yes, the overall quality is lacking, and the typos make me cringe, but he's got his hands full and he is at the front lines promoting LF.
    Yes sir, I agree 100%! I can understand where publishing a printed magazine would be a challenge. And to do it year after year as you point out for over a decade.

I do not mean to degrade nor offend anyone, but if VC Magazine is really on the ropes, then the time could be right for some of those that are so critical of the quality of the magazine to step up and see if they can do better. It is extremely easy to be critical, why doesn’t someone try to raise the bar? If there were to be another magazine, with high-quality content, on the subject of LF photography, I would certainly subscribe.

I would add that I have no interest in an Electronic Publication. I have tried that and I want a printed magazine, on paper, that I can hold in my hands.

B Dalton

Right now it's 0 man operation. I just called...no one answered. It's 1:30 in the afternooon.. WTF?

I'm extremely insulted. Rabbi Sinclair has photographs of his published in the magazine and neither he nor I have received copies. This is kind of outrageous. I've been defending him, but this is just inexcusable. You put someone in your publication to add to the value of it and you don't even send them a copy?? What kind of bullshit is this?

Quote Originally Posted by David Spivak-Focus Magazine View Post
    Right now it's 0 man operation. I just called...no one answered. It's 1:30 in the afternooon.. WTF?

I'm extremely insulted. Rabbi Sinclair has photographs of his published in the magazine and neither he nor I have received copies. This is kind of outrageous. I've been defending him, but this is just inexcusable. You put someone in your publication to add to the value of it and you don't even send them a copy?? What kind of bullshit is this?
    No one answered, or you got a voice mail message?

I think it's 11:30 there.

It seems every time View Camera comes out... this same kind of posting pops up and the bashing begins!

I agree with Bob, Blacky and William... publishing can be a real challenge in this day and age. Even newspapers are seeing huge declines in circulation/readership due to the other forms of media that are popping up.

Like Blacky, I'm also not a huge fan of electronic magazines. But, sadly, at the end of the day... that may be all we'll have left. The next generation will be asking, "Hard copy??? What is that?"

So, rather than beating Simmons and the magazine down... perhaps, we should be looking at it from a different perspective?

Mr. Spivak, don't get so self-righteous, indignant, and pi**y-a**ed over this... lest we forget about your misadventures from the not-so-distant past!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

No one answered, or you got a voice mail message?

I think it's 11:30 there.
    Got a voicemail.

Quote Originally Posted by David Spivak-Focus Magazine View Post
    Got a voicemail.
    Steve probably has Caller ID.

Actually ... I think the May/June issue is one of the best in the 2 1/2 years I've subscribed (mine arrived yesterday.)

Steve probably has Caller ID.

Well, he was finally nice enough to call me back. Unfortunately, I'm still out a magazine. With the kind of customer service I just experienced with him on the phone, I won't bother to spend a dime on a copy of his at my local bookstore.

I never understood why people kept talking about him the way they did. Now I do.