Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I need a new photoshop??????????

Re: I need a new photoshop??????????

Odd, it is in my CS4 and I didn't put it there. I know how to do it in Bridge, I just haven't gotten around to it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'm suprised no one mentioned Paint Shop Pro X, which can do 16-bit processing and has adjustment layers and is about $60 instead of $600. Unfortunately it's 16-bit processing is limited- like no clone brush for 16-bit images ugh. But it is a viable alternative, unlike GIMP which seems determined not to ever implement Adjustment Layers.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    But it is a viable alternative, unlike GIMP which seems determined not to ever implement Adjustment Layers.
    The fundamental problem with open source software development is that it tends to be focused on what the developers want rather than what the customer wants. What the developers want, is usually the 'new', 'interesting' and 'exciting', rather than the boring and useful.

Paint Shop Pro is Windows only. Even though the percentage is shrinking, the Macs are still the majority platform for digital imaging. No matter how good a program is, it cannot be viable unless it is truly cross-platform. Just like color management, 16-bit processing, adjustment layers and such. That is also why Corel, GIMP and others always remained fringe apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    The fundamental problem with open source software development is that it tends to be focused on what the developers want rather than what the customer wants. What the developers want, is usually the 'new', 'interesting' and 'exciting', rather than the boring and useful.
    I don't think I would agree. Apache, PHP, UNIX, is all pretty useful, and boring... A lot of the programmers for open source work for large companies, which have very clear mandates for what they are trying to accomplish.

Being a programmer ini my other life, I think making Photoshop work properly with memory would be pretty exciting. Hey, how about saving a recover file in case it crashes... how about being able to deal with a large file.... How about throwing those bean counters out of the castle and letting some programmers do what the clients are asking for - now that would be something....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Come now, Lenny, you know it's never going to happen, don't you? Programmers and designers want to design and create the best package and make their users happy in the process, while the bean counters and marketers only care about maximizing profits and making shareholders happy. There is a point in the lifecycle of a product where these two interests intersect. The job of the former is to bring the product up to that point and the job of the later is to take it down from there.