Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Large Format Shooters... MF as backup?

Re: Large Format Shooters... MF as backup?

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    Sandy, which lens did you use? Obviously the result is great, but on the 80mm, optimum aperture (at least optically) is f/5.6. Anything beyond that suffers increasingly from diffraction.
    Nothing messes up lens sharpness like insufficient depth of field, or messes up executing a visualization like unintended selective focus (or the lack of intended selective focus).

Rick "thinking that finding the lens's sweet spot optically is well down on the priority list" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    Sandy, which lens did you use? Obviously the result is great, but on the 80mm, optimum aperture (at least optically) is f/5.6. Anything beyond that suffers increasingly from diffraction.
    That was the 65mm lens. It is true that if you shoot a chart this lens will have higher resolution at f/5.6 than at f/16. But bear in mind that even at f/11 the diffraction limited resolution of this lens is around 140 lp/mm, which is probably beyond the practical limits of the film and developer combination. So Rick's comment about depth of field is very germane to this particular image as parts of the tree are in the frame from 25 feet to well over 150 feet. So quite simply much greater overall sharpness is obtained by using f/11 than focusing on on plane of the image and exposing at f/5.6.

I am sending the large print up to Bob Carnie at Elevator Digital. He is going to mount it on a special material they use there, Di-bond if I am spelling it correctly, and put it in some exhibition they are having. So if you live in the Toronto area you should check with Bob about where it will be.

Sandy

True... one thing the 7 series does not suffer from is a lack of resolution!

Very professional answer learn it

I carry a Mamiya c330 along just in case. I only have the 80mm lens so it's light aqnd easy to use. I do like a square format negative.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

There are obviously as many opinions as forum members out there. If I travel with LF gear, I often take an Agfa Billy Record II (6x9 folder)- when I carry 120 film for my 6x17 back anyway; otherwise I'd take a D40 with the 10-24mm, or the 18-55mm : I think digital "augments" LF better than MF in most cases. The last thing I'd do is cart a 'blad system around with me on top of a LF system. Ideally I'd make a vintage folder into something with a wider lens. Suggestions welcome. 65mm Angulon perhaps, but too much hassle (bellows shortening, etc.) for what it's worth (yes, I have heard of the Mamiya7 with the 43mm lens). IF you mainly do landscapes, you want to travel light and you want to actually sell your stuff, a 6x17 panorama camera and only 2 lenses (e.g. any 90mm and a small 180mm) is all you might need. No LF, no smaller MF format combo: 1 body, 2 lenses. Heresy!
    .....What was the question again?.....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."