Thread: Stitching software for scan stitching

Stitching software for scan stitching

Can anyone recommend some software that is capable of flat stitching (I'm stitching 2 scans/passes of one sheet of film) that has a batch mode? It'd be a real bonus if included in the batch mode would be an option to save and close each file after it is done too (these files take a long time to save).

I've used photoshop CS4 - results are fine but I can't figure out a way to cue up several files so I can leave a batch of scans stitching overnight. (stitching 2 3200dpi passes of 4x5 film takes a long time on my computer - it's be great to cue up several groups to stitch and save overnight).

I downloaded the trail version of PTGUI that has batch mode, but I can't find a setting that will stitch correctly - I think the problem is that all the settings are for shots taken with a camera rotating around a nodal point, not for flat stitching.

Tim

Re: Stitching software for scan stitching

Can't you create an action then run the action in batch mode?

Do you really need 3200 dpi?

If you find a solution, please share.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Can't you create an action then run the action in batch mode?
    Not that I can figure out - I tried a few different ways but kept running into the following problems:

1. In batch mode (running from Adobe Bridge) the action is applied to each image sequentially. So if I have two images to stitch, the first image is opened and then the action is applied to it. So if the action includes the photomerge script it runs, but at this stage only one image is open. I couldn't figure a way round this (there probably is though). I need a way for the batch mode to open two images, one after another and then start running the action.

2. Even if I could figure the above problem, as far as I can tell photomerge wont run automatically. If you have it in an action, it will open the photomerge window but it wont continue until 'ok' is clicked manually.

This is a program that I use. I do, however, use a pano head and thus I am not sure about your application but it seems to have a lot of means to modify process. Large file sizes seem to not be a problem.

http://www.autopano.net/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    This is a program that I use. I do, however, use a pano head and thus I am not sure about your application but it seems to have a lot of means to modify process. Large file sizes seem to not be a problem.

http://www.autopano.net/en/
    I use it too and for flat scans of artwork. Much much faster than Photoshop.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Shawcross View Post
    Can anyone recommend some software that is capable of flat stitching (I'm stitching 2 scans/passes of one sheet of film) that has a batch mode? It'd be a real bonus if included in the batch mode would be an option to save and close each file after it is done too (these files take a long time to save).

I've used photoshop CS4 - results are fine but I can't figure out a way to cue up several files so I can leave a batch of scans stitching overnight. (stitching 2 3200dpi passes of 4x5 film takes a long time on my computer - it's be great to cue up several groups to stitch and save overnight).

I downloaded the trail version of PTGUI that has batch mode, but I can't find a setting that will stitch correctly - I think the problem is that all the settings are for shots taken with a camera rotating around a nodal point, not for flat stitching.

Tim
    You didn't mention the OS, but if it happens to be a MacOSX, I recommend 'Hugin'. Even if not, have a look at: http://enblend.sourceforge.net/

-a

If you're on a Mac it'd be prety trivial to have Applescript call Photoshop Actions to assemble then run the files, even hit return for Photomerge.

Photoshop is fast for me for stitching scans.

I use AutoPano Pro/Giga for actual panos with my nodal ninja and sometimes PTGui Pro.

All you need to do is auto-align layers, its quite fast for me, no blending is required, may need to quickly soft mask a bit out if you've scanned outside the film area.