Thread: Need advice configuring Silverfast AI settings for Coolscan 9000

Question Need advice configuring Silverfast AI settings for Coolscan 9000

Hi,

I have been going crazy trying to figure out how to configure Silverfast AI V6.6's "Frame" settings.

If anyone uses Silverfast and a CoolScan 9000 what I would like is a basic set of parameters for the setting the values for the FRAME tab's "ORIGINAL" , "SCALE%" and "OUTPUT" fields. I am just inteested in setting SF AI so that it will make the highest possible quality 11X14 and 16X20 (or 11X11 & 16X16 from 6X6) from full frame 35mm & 6X6 scans when printed by my Epson 3800 printer.

File size is irrelivant... quality is not.
    [/INDENT][/indent]How does one setup the original and scale% input boxes? Does one put in 35mm X 24mm for the 35mm full frame?

How does one use the output settings? Do you enter the size of the desired print output?

As for the other FRAME parameters, I have been told by LaserSoft that the best Q factor is 1.5 But I'm not sure why and I was wondering if anyone here knows what effect this has.

Given the desired output (print size) what value should "SCREEN" be given?

I have been manually setting the dpi figure at 3600 as Lasersoft told me that
    this is the true optical resolution of the Nikon 9000... not 4000dpi.

I have tried entering different values into the original/scale% fields as well as the Output field but they end up changing each time I go to modify a value and I am not sure when and if to lock the fields. I have tried and tried to find some instructional material that addresses this specific area of the program configuration but I have been unable to do so anywhere and so I hope that someone on this forum who uses Silverfast might be kind enough to give me some advice as a starting point

Re: Need advice configuring Silverfast AI settings for Coolscan 9000

Don't drive yourself nuts over this. Less is more.

I never change the Output settings. Simply scan at the dpi you need for that particular scan, and then resize the image in Photoshop for the print you are making.

I own an Nikon 8000, and scan all formats at Silverfast's Output defaults. Never had a problem.

One thing I do change is the unsharp mask default. Silverfast's setting are too high for my tastes. I usually scan with a 6 to 10% setting at a threshold of 0.8. It gives just a touch of unsharp mask. Then I do all other unsharp masking (if needed) in Photoshop as the very last step in post-production before printing.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Question Re: Need advice configuring Silverfast AI settings for Coolscan 9000

Dear Walter,

How do you determine the DOI required to make a certain size print? Say a 16X20 from a full frame 35mm scan or a 20 X 20 from a full frame 6X6?

Sorry... I meant to say DPI....

for those eventual enlargement ratios I'd suggest finding the maximum true optical resolution of the hardware (I'm not sure that's what Lasersoft is referring too, they may mean that's what it delvers), because anything else requires the software to interpolate.
    If later upresing is required for your print sizes, it's better to take control of that yourself in Photoshop, or let the printer driver do it in scaling.
    Which is better is another book chapter, but I never let scanner software interpolate.
    Tyler

Exclamation Re: Need advice configuring Silverfast AI settings for Coolscan 9000

Tytler,

Nikon claims 4000 dpi true optical resolution but Silverfast claimes their test have shown that the 9000 is only good to 3600 dpi

Quote Originally Posted by hassiman View Post
    Tytler,

Nikon claims 4000 dpi true optical resolution but Silverfast claimes their test have shown that the 9000 is only good to 3600 dpi
    Sorry I'm not making myself clear, seem to be bumbling all over the internet lately... age...
    I'm trying to distinguish between settings and results. What setting delivers the actual highest native optical/mechanical resolution of the device? Most scanners have several native settings. Any in between number you put in the settings will make the scanner operate at the next highest native resolution, then the software interpolates down for you to what you wanted and delivers your file. It can't literally scan at ANY resolution. I maintain that it's best not to have scanner software do my interpolating, there are better ways, and if necessary I would prefer to control that process. Hence my advice that one scans at the highest appropriate native setting, then go from there.

This does not meant that the scanner DELIVERS that resolution, most do not. My Howtek's highest native resolution setting, that functions at the highest mechanical/optical ability, and does NOT invoke software interpolation is 4000 ppi.
    Now it does not actually describe 4000 ppi of info, if it existed on the film in the first place, but somewhat less, let's say 3700ppi for conversation's sake.
    Still, to get that 3700ppi worth of detail clean and uninterpolated, my setting must be 4000, and my file will be 4000.

I hope I'm not stating the obvious and beating you over the head with stuff you are already clear about. Ultimately, I guess I mean Silverfast's statement requires more elaboration for my pea brain. Is 3600 performance what it delivers at 4000 setting? if you enter 3600 is it mechanically and optically native, or is it going to interpolate? etc etc.

Tyler