Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oregon/Wash

Re: Oregon/Wash

Frankly I'd just go to either Portland, Coos Bay, Ashland (highly under-rated), or Eugene in one swoop and then make day trips radiating out from either central location. It actually would save a lot of time compared to setting up camp or getting hotels in different places, and on "off-days" you can really enjoy the local sights and communities.

There is probably more good oceanfront along the Southern Oregon coast than anywhere else.

Heading home via Route 395 on the Eastern side of the Sierras is also pretty nice.

This looks very do-able.

Yachats is roughly "Yah-HOTS." Hit the capitalized H hard enough that it is two definite syllables and not a slurred "Yaowts" or something like that.

The Dalles is The Dalles. I'd hit Hood River on the way. It's prettier than The Dalles, and it's not far away. Your drive from Portland to The Dalles is short enough that you'll have some time to hit some other sights along the way, like many in the Columbia Gorge.

There really isn't anywhere close around Crater Lake. I usually camp out at Collier State Park which is toward Chiloquin. If you aren't bringing camping gear that's not really an option. There might be a B&B or something in one of those towns. Sometimes these family run places are both great values and also very difficult to find. There are places to stay at Diamond Lake but it's been years since I have been there and I remember the quarters being a little rough around the edges.

You could just go to Portland and spend 4 days at the brewers festival drinking some of the best beer in the world and then spend the rest of the time touring all the local brew pubs and just leave the camera gear in the motel room.
    Maybe it is just that it is broiling hot here now and who wants to drive on hot freeways or carry camera gear around in this sweaty weather?
    Dennis

I'll see your Oregon hot and sweaty and raise you east Texas hot and sweaty.

I win!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    I'll see your Oregon hot and sweaty and raise you east Texas hot and sweaty.

I win!
    Does that mean we get to send your Texas weather back down there?

Beer and heat. Sounds like Wrigley Field to me. Thanks again for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    Beer and heat. Sounds like Wrigley Field to me. Thanks again for all the help!
    The beer is really good and the heat is a dry heat. A better idea than it sounds.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Where's Vaughn?

My dad and I caught a boat load of salmon one morning out of Sekiu, WA.

http://www.sekiu.com/
    Heading across country on vacation.

Jim

Thanks to all of you for helping me plan a nice 15 days in Oregon, with a small slice of CA thrown in. I really liked Bandon, Yachats, Newport(old port-in spite of Ripley's B it or not), Portland(Trolley calls me honored citzen-not senior-how great is that?) Lunch at King Estate Winery, Bend(High Desert Museum), Ashland, Nevada City CA (detour on return to Reno -highway 89 closed due to forest fire. In Willow Creek CA we visited a staging area for forest fire fighters, which gave me new understanding of what they do.

Thanks again.

Hey, Terry! Glad you had a good time. I was out of town or else would have offered some hospitality in Eureka...left June 27th in the minivan with my wife and my three 12 year old boys for the East Coast and won't be home for another week. My wife got smart and flew home from Dallas, TX on August first...so it is just me and the boys right now (hanging out in San Clemente right now, hitting the waves!)

I fought forest fires with the US Forest Service (among other duties), so I know what that is all about. There is no way to describe the experience of having fire in one's face and attacking it with a shovel that really gets the idea across. Glad you had the chance to get a taste of it there in Willow Creek (they had a real rough time last year, also).

A group of us have started photo workshops in Newport, OR, so hopefully that will be a future destination for many photographers! The Oregon Coast is great!

Vaughn