Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oregon/Wash

Re: Oregon/Wash

By pushing off the San Juan/Victoria chunk, as it appears you are doing, this opens up a lot more time for the Oregon coast. You should be able to have some lazy driving days then where you can simply pull over at a whim and photograph whatever.

Some of my favorites include:
    -Conde McCullough designed bridges on the coast - there's one in Newport and several more besides.
    -Lighthouses - everyone likes Heceta Head. There's also some other great lighthouses. For a bit more of a slog with your gear there's Cape Meares lighthouse, which you can really only see from up close.
    -the beaches and rocks - there are TONS of photogenic rocks, beaches, bays, etc.
    -other features - Devil's Punchbowl comes to mind
    -Shipwrecks

I am jealous of your trip.

You didn't say when you're going, but just two weekends ago Crater Lake still had snowpack at the rim, and snow perhaps 40 feet deep ringing the lake (after having slumped down and heaped up) on the lakeshore. The mosquitos were out in force, the wildflowers weren't yet, and the lodges were all booked full. Rogue River Valley was worth side trips to see booming waterfalls and the salmonflies hatching on the way in.

I too concur that Mt Hood as well as the Hood River Valley are not to be missed.

As was mentioned earlier, if your near Port Angeles try photographing the lupine meadow at Hurricane ridge before sunrise. I've got some good shots there.

Steve

www.stevencastrophotography.com

Nice site and beautiful images Steve. The "Bridalveil Falls Evening" is amazing.

When was your lupine shot taken?

Thanks Eric,

I took those July 12 and July 13. The first morning I spotted a mountain lion on my drive up the hill. Had a pretty good day.

Steve

www.stevencastrophotography.com

Good to know - thank you!

Paul Cocklin

Just to let you know, I just drove up to Hood River (White Salmon, WA, really) from Sacramento, via Klamath Falls and the National Lava bed Park. While I didn't stop in the park due to rain, it looks like there are some nice photo opportunities there and I will probably be stopping at it again on my way back to Sacramento in 12 days.

Rt. 97 coming north through Oregon and into Bend had some construction going on, and I believe it goes until October. Minor lane stoppages, but nothing to delay for too long. I don't believe there's much in Bend, but there's lots around it. Three Sisters wilderness, Crater Lake well to the south, etc. I agree that the Mt. Hood/Hood River area are not to be missed. I just spent this morning shooting 8x10 at a beautifully running waterfall on the SE slopes of Mt. Hood.

I don't think you can go wrong, especially if you cut out the island visit/ferry trips. I did Sacramento to Bend in 9 hours, taking my time and stopping frequently along the way.

Have a safe and great trip!

Paul Cocklin

oh, also. You must stop and see Multnomah Falls on Rt. 84 about 1/2 hour east of Portland.

If you're going to Multnomah Falls, you may as well take the Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway and catch a couple more sights. I recommend Sheppard's Dell as one stop. Just about anywhere you stop will have something worth shooting.

I have ended up with Reno(1), eureka(2,3), Coos Bay(4,5), Yachats(6,7 if I just can pronounce it!),Portland(8,9) City of Dalles,Crater Lake(10,11), Ashland (12,13)
    Reno(14). Can't seem to find a place to stay near Crater lake (thinking of Wilson's Lodges-anyone stayed there?)

Other suggestions are appreciated. Don't get to take trips like this, and am looking forward to it.

Thanks again