Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon/Wash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oregon/Wash

I have to fly to Reno, with two weeks thereafter to go up the Oregon/Washington coast. I am planning to spend the first night in Reno, and thereafter:
    night 1-Reno
    night 2,3 Eureka, CA.
    night 4,5 Coos Bay
    night 6 in Cannon Beach
    night 7,8 Port Angeles/San Juan/Victoria
    night 9,10 Portland
    night 12 Crater Lake area
    night 13 Mt. Shasta area
    night 14 Reno

Since my wife will be with me, its not totally a Hassy/LF trip, but any suggestions, particularly on distances, are appreciated. Is this a stretch( lets say a stretch is a ten, and a real slow meandering trip is a 1) or is the coverage reasonable for two weeks? Other suggestions are welcome, and I thank you.

Re: Oregon/Wash

I'm not the guy to comment on someone's trip mileage since I just completed one with 3700 miles in 10 days. But comments on your itinerary:

I like Gold Beach in the south of oregon.

Cannon Beach is scenic, but is a very pricey area with lots of crowds.

Crater Lake is an essential stop. You must see it. Not a lot of lodging outside the park. I stayed at the Prospect Hotel B&B Very nice, but not really close to Crater (nothing really is). The lodge at Crater Lake looks good, but small.

I preferred the Mt. Hood area over Shasta.

I think the more southern Oregon beaches are more wild, which is what I prefer.

There is a very cool airplane museum near Tillamook.

I would think you're going to spend a lot of time going to Vancouver Island. That might be somewhat of a reach. I think you need passports these days.

John

Quick remarks on nights 7 and 8 – if you stay (and remain) in Port Angeles:

1) Salt Creek Recreation Area (tidal pools & shore-line sea stacks) is immediately west. Gray whales often visit Crescent Bay in mid-autumn.

2) Hurricane Ridge (high Olympics, in the Nat’l Park) is immediately south.

3) Dungeness Spit Recreation Area (primitive beach, miles long) is just east.

Often overlooked: Sequim Bay (at John Wayne Marina) – a little bit further east. A tranquil spot with views of bay, the distant strait, and nearby mountains. No prettier spot in early morning light. Lots of marine life, too – harbor seals, black oyster catchers, American coots, surf scoters, mergansers, kingfishers, etc.

Plenty for the most active photographer w/ only 2 nights/3 days!

Where's Vaughn?

My dad and I caught a boat load of salmon one morning out of Sekiu, WA.

http://www.sekiu.com/
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

The nights 7 and 8 part might be a little optimistic, particularly since you are spending the previous night in Cannon Beach. Keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time aboard ferries, and sometimes hours waiting in line for ferries. I would consult the Washington State Ferries website and see what their schedules and recommendations are. If you are planning on doing photography, the San Juan Islands could take up several days all by themselves.

Other than that, your itinerary seems quite reasonable, but then again I have crossed from Eugene, Oregon, to New York City, NY by mini-van in less than a week, so my sense of what's too far might be a little skewed.

Cool Re: Oregon/Wash

Quote Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Robins View Post
    The nights 7 and 8 part might be a little optimistic, particularly since you are spending the previous night in Cannon Beach. Keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time aboard ferries, and sometimes hours waiting in line for ferries. I would consult the Washington State Ferries website and see what their schedules and recommendations are. If you are planning on doing photography, the San Juan Islands could take up several days all by themselves.

Other than that, your itinerary seems quite reasonable, but then again I have crossed from Eugene, Oregon, to New York City, NY by mini-van in less than a week, so my sense of what's too far might be a little skewed.
    You can reserve space on the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. When we did it in the Stone Age, we boarded at night and were in Victoria early morning. Victoria-Portland in a day may be a stretch. Frankly, Vancouver Island could/should be a whole other trip.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Where's Vaughn?

My dad and I caught a boat load of salmon one morning out of Sekiu, WA.

http://www.sekiu.com/
    Heading across country on vacation.

Jim

Thanks to all of you for helping me plan a nice 15 days in Oregon, with a small slice of CA thrown in. I really liked Bandon, Yachats, Newport(old port-in spite of Ripley's B it or not), Portland(Trolley calls me honored citzen-not senior-how great is that?) Lunch at King Estate Winery, Bend(High Desert Museum), Ashland, Nevada City CA (detour on return to Reno -highway 89 closed due to forest fire. In Willow Creek CA we visited a staging area for forest fire fighters, which gave me new understanding of what they do.

Thanks again.

The beach at Bandon (S of Coos Bay) is one of the most photogenic beaches in Oregon.

Thanks for all of the help. So Reno, Eureka CA, Coos Bay, Cannon Beach, Portland, Crater Lake, Shasta back to Reno would be fairly easy for two weeks? Is Bend of interest?