Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who use the Macro-Sinaron SE 5,6/180 ?

Who use the Macro-Sinaron SE 5,6/180 ?

I want to buy a Macro-Sinaron SE 5,6/180 for a Sinar P2 4x5". I photography still life in studio for very big paper print. I know the Macro-Sinaron is optimized for ratio from 1:5 to 2:1. I know also that greater ratio are possible. But I don't know what I'll obtain precisely with ratio from 1:6 to 1:10. And that is my main question. The other question is: do you have a better advice for such work ?

For the ratios you are looking for the Apo Sironar S is best. For ratios from 1:5 to 5:1 the Apo Macro Sironar (that is what the Sinar lens is) is best.

Thank you Bob.

But, if the Apo Sironar is better for 1:1 to 1:10, what do you think of the Apo-ronar in comparison ? And wich film size recommend you for both ?

If you are copying maps and books use the Apo Ronar if you are photographing 3 dimensional objects use the Apo Macro Sironar.

Okay, the APO ronar is not the good choice. But the question is now: wich one is the best for photography 3D objects of 1:10 to 1:1 in 4x5"? Actuelly, I could forget 2:1. The Macro Sironar 180mm or the Apo Sironar S ? And if it is the Apo Sironar S, wich one is the most convenient between 150mm,180mm and 210 mm ? Keep in mind that I want obtain large paper print, from 1 to 5 m2. Thank you for your patience, Bob. You are very kind with beginners like me.

Gauthier, it looks as though you are perhaps confused about magnification ratios. Magnification is usually calculated as the ratio of film size to subject size, and for 4x5 we use 12 cm (the long side of the frame) as the film size. In my experience photographing both large paintings and small drawings, there is no lens which is "best" for the whole range of 1:10 to 1: 1, simply because that range is too wide (equaling subject sizes all the way from 120 cm down to 12cm wide). A lens like the Apo-Sironar S will get you from infinity down to about 1:5 (minimum subject width of approx. 60 cm), but for subjects smaller than that, you need a lens design which has been optimized for close-up photography, like the Apo-Macro-Sironar. Its optimum range is listed as 1:5 to 2:1, which would mean it works best with subject sizes from 60 cm to 6 cm. Hope this helps.

Armin,

The only difference between a G Claron and an Apo Ronar is coverage. They are both process lenses and would not perform nearly as well with 3 dimensional table top shots or macro shots at 5:1 to 1:5 as the Apo Macro Sironar or from 1:5 to infinity as the Apo Sironar S.

Plus the Apo Macro Sironar and the Apo Sironar S reach optimal aperture much sooner and hold it longer then a process lens. And when you start shooting in close up and macro that 5.6 aperture makes focusing much easier.

And what about rodenstock apo sironar S ?

"And what about rodenstock apo sironar S ? "

What are you asking?

I think dg made an allusion to the Schneider Roddenkor Apo-Macro-Ronar AM-ED. Sa cripant, va!