Thread: Tripod heads and mounting plates

Tripod heads and mounting plates

I currently use a 4x5 that weighs approx. 20 lbs.. I use a Bogen 3036 tripod but need a good head for this tripod. Something that will hold the weight and give preision movements, ie., tilt, pan etc.. Also I've seen ball heads and the kin d with the different handles (is there a name for these?). Which are more effic ient, more productive to use? Also what about mounting plates. Do these give th e camera more support or are they used as a quick release mechanism? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Clark King

Is your camera a field or monorail? What kind? What type of shooting do you do, i.e. do you frequently use a lot of bellows extension?

Take a look at the Bogen 3057 head. It comes with a large 4x4in mounting plate. I use it on my 3036. You may want to handle it first as it may not provide the precision you need.

I use the same combination as Chuck for my 8x10 Deardorf - 3036 tripod, 3057 head. I don't care much for the tripod as a field tripod (only after buying it did I realize that it's probably intended mainly for studio work, where it would be fine) but I like the head. The Deardorf weighs about 14 lbs with lens and film holder. I bought the head mainly because of the large plate that Chuck mentions. For 8x10 I didn't like the smaller hexagonal plates that Bogen offers or the smaller plates from other manufacturers. I think the 3057 would support your 20 lb set up but you could check the specs for it on the B&H web site to be sure.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you are using a Sinar , the Sinar Pan-Tilt head is ideal.

Otherwise: the Arca-Swiss B2 Monoball. It is easily the best non-geared two way pan tilt head I've ever used (the other ones i tried were made by Majestic, Gitzo (several sizes), and Bogen.. The Foba three way pan/tilt head is also supposed to be terrific.